What web browser should I use?
Sakai works best in the following web browsers:
- Firefox Updated (Windows, Macintosh, or Linux) – Download
- Updated Google Chrome
- Internet Explorer version 11 for Windows
We do not support the following browsers (These browsers are unstable and not recommended. Using these browsers could result in assignments, test/quizzes, and other tools to not upload/download or work properly):
- Safari (Mac)
- Internet Explorer 8
Why am I having trouble using Sakai on my Mac?
- Mac users should use the Mozilla Firefox browser for better performance. There have been known issues, when using the Safari browser, such as the Test & Quizzes tool that will close during the taking of a Test/Quiz.
- The Safari browser is not compatible with Sakai.
How do I rearrange or remove my site tabs?
- Go to Sites
- You will see the list of your classes by term.
- Place a star next the sites you want to see at the top of your Sakai page.
- Close the Sites area and you will be asked to reload the page. Then you will see the sites at the top.
- To change the order of your sites, go to Sites then Organize Favorites. Drag the sites to the order you wish them to be.
- To hide sites, go to Sites then Preferences. Then click the Sites tab.
- Here you can check the sites that you want to hide. Remember to hit Update Preferences.
If you do not scroll down and click on Update Preferences your changes will NOT be saved. You may need to refresh your browser for you to see the changes.
How can I copy from a Word document into Sakai?
We recommend that you use a word processor such as Word to create your Forums, Assignments, etc. Therefore, you can use the Spell Check and, of course, save your information on a hard drive. Once you have created your Discussion or Assignment, etc. you can then easily transfer the information by using the steps below.
Many tools in Sakai allow you to enter text with a the Text Editor. If you wish to copy formatted text from a Microsoft Word document while retaining the formatting, you can do this with the “Paste from Word” button. In the top row of buttons on the text editor there is an icon with a clipboard and a blue “W”, this is the Paste from Word button. Click this button to bring up a small window with a text box. Paste the text from your Word document into this text box and click OK. Your text should now appear in the Sakai text editor with the original formatting.
Use the following key strokes to move your information:
- Control + A = Select All
- Control + C = Copy
- Control + V = Paste
- Command + A = Select All
- Command + C = Copy
- Command + V = Paste
How to add a profile pic and information about yourself.
When you log in to Sakai, click on the character in the upper right corner of your screen or click the “Profile” tab in the left tool column.
Click on the blank photo and select “upload a photo”. Add a photo of yourself and save.
Under Basic Info add a nickname and/or write a short “Personal Summary” & save.
You can view your photo and photos of your classmates by visiting the “Roster” on the left column of your Sakai screen.