Spring Closing Info
All Residence Halls Close on Saturday, April 30 at 10:00am
- Residents must check out 24-hours after their last exam or by Saturday, April 30 at 10:00am unless approved for extended stay.
- Extended stay applications are on the Good Living Portal under Applications & Forms. Must submit request by Tuesday, April 26.
- Check out of your room with a Residence Life staff member by Saturday, April 30 at 10:00am. Not checking out with a staff person will result in a $25 improper checkout fee and inability to appeal damage billing.
- Also avoid damage & cleaning fees by removing all belongings & leaving your room clean.
STEP 1: Clean Out Your Room
✓ Remove all your belongings from your room
(You will be billed for leaving items behind)
✓ Empty trash & take trash to dumpster outside
✓ Close & lock your windows, close blinds
✓ Vacuum or sweep floors, wipe down surfaces, & clean up any mess
✓ Suites: clean shower, sink, toilets, & remove everything from fridges
✓ Apartments: clear out kitchen cabinets & fridge, clean shower, sink, & toilets
✓ Leave room in a condition where someone could move in tomorrow
✓ Set room temperature to 72°F (Potomac Place, set to 74°F)
✓ Double check all drawers & closets for belongings
STEP 2: Check Out with Staff
Complete your checkout with an RA. You can arrange a time with your RA, call the RA duty phone, or find an RA at the front desk. After contacting an RA, wait by your room until they arrive. We appreciate your patience when staff has more than one person checking out at a time.
|Potomac Place RA:
|Shaw & Miller RA:||304-671-2072|
|West Woods RA:||304-671-6967|
|Dunlop & Printz RA:||304-671-4606|
|Residence Life Office:
During business hours
Room & Damage Billing:
Rooms will be inspected in two phases. First: when you check out with a staff member, they will verify that your room is empty and generally cleaned before you leave. Second: once all roommates have checked out, the RA and Hall Director will complete a more thorough inspection for damages.
- If inspections find (1) damages not previously noted, (2) excessive mess and dirty conditions, and/or (3) abandoned belongings or trash – residents will be billed for repairs and/or disposal.
- When not readily apparent, damage billing will be split among all occupants of the room, suite, or apartment. A resident can take responsibility for a charge and have it removed from their roommates.
- Damage billing may be appealed if you checked out in-person with a staff member.
|Talk to your roommates and suitemates and make sure everyone is doing their part to pack and clean up. Otherwise, everyone gets billed. Messy conditions, trash, and abandoned items are charged to everyone in a room, suite, or apartment.|
Avoid the Headache of Billing:
- Take all trash to a dumpster before checking out
- Halls will have access to additional, large dumpsters during the last two weeks of the semester
- Don’t leave any belongings behind — toss or donate anything you no longer want
- Let an RA know about any new damages to your room
- If you live in Potomac Place or West Woods, return your bedroom key if you received one
Have items to Donate?
Shepherd has a partnership with Goodwill for item donation. During finals week, donations can be placed in the blue donation bins in the hall’s lobby:
– Clothing, shoes, & accessories
– Household items & furniture
– Lightly used bedding
– Books, games, & toys
– Sports equipment
Questions about Housing Next Year?
If you haven’t yet, check out our page with information about 22-23 Housing for Returning Students