Date: August 28, 2020
Today marks the last day of our first week of classes! Shepherd University has been able to do what many universities have been unable to do during the pandemic – REMAIN OPEN! The ability for us to continue to remain open is heavily reliant upon you and the decisions you make.
IMPORTANT POLICIES THAT AFFECT YOU:
Attached are two documents that detail policies on safety, face coverings, distancing, etc. The documents can also be found here. It is your responsibility to know these policies.
A few important sections of interest:
- Understand that conduct investigation and charges will be initiated when the university’s interest, safety, and/or capacity to function as an academic community is involved.
Any unapproved social gatherings not adhering to restrictions placed by WV Governor Jim Justice, the Jefferson County Health Department, and the Temporary Addendum to the Student Handbook and Code of Conduct, are suspended until further notice. According to current Student Handbook policies, “The University reserves the right to take necessary and appropriate action to protect the safety and well-being of the campus community.” This includes actions by students that are reported both on-campus and off-campus.
- Enrollment at Shepherd University is a voluntary decision, which includes a student’s acceptance of the responsibility to meet academic requirements and to behave consistently with the university’s policies, purposes and objectives at all times, on campus, off campus and in cyberspace. The university reserves the right to notify law enforcement to problems on or off campus. Shepherd University’s jurisdiction includes university-owned or operated property, as well as university-sponsored functions that occur on or off campus.
- Students should demonstrate respect and concern for all members of both on-campus and off-campus communities and behave as responsible citizens. Students should understand that conduct investigation and charges will be initiated when the university’s interest, safety, and/or capacity to function as an academic community is involved.
- ACTION ITEMS:
- Wear your face coverings,
- Remembering to social distance,
- Complete your Daily Health Check every day that you are on campus,
- Follow the attached temporary policies for COVID-19 safety, both on and off campus and
- If you are told by the Shepherd University Health Center or the Health Department, you must do so.
Please take a moment to review these documents so that we can continue to keep the campus community healthy and safe. All concerns and reports of non-compliance with these temporary policies will be addressed in Student Conduct by Jake Mellow.
We have worked hard to bring you back to campus; the rest is up to you.
Make good choices and stay well.
Holly Morgan Frye
Vice President for Student Affairs and
Director of Community Relations