DATE: August 11, 2020
As directed by West Virginia Governor Jim Justice, all staff, faculty and students are required to be COVID-19 tested before the start of the academic year. Below you will find information regarding COVID-19 Testing at Shepherd University.
COVID-19 testing will take place at Shepherd University Saturday, August 15 – Wednesday, August 19 between 8:30am and 5:00pm. This testing will be coordinated by the Jefferson County Health Department in compliance with a directive from WV Gov. Jim Justice.
PLEASE NOTE: The Health Department will be testing on Friday, August 14 FOR EMPLOYEES ONLY. Help us work through the “wrinkles” by getting your test done on this day. We only ask that you be patient. This is the largest testing event ever coordinated by the Jefferson County Health Department.
ACTION ITEMS FOR YOU:
- Reserve a time to be tested at COVID-19 Testing Reservation. Please arrive at the time chosen to reduce waiting time.
- Bring identification that includes name, photo and date of birth.
- Testing will take place on east campus, starting at the flagpole in front of Erma Ora Byrd Hall; you can drive or walk down King Street following the signs.
- If you are driving, you will remain in your vehicle for the duration of the test. If you are walking, you will be reminded to remain socially distanced.
- You will receive a gift bag and verification that you have been tested. It may be helpful to keep this verification with you.
WHAT TYPE OF TEST WILL IT BE?
The Health Department will be providing an RNA by PCR test. The swabbing of the nose is minimal; the test is self-administered; the swab is inserted just inside the nostril – we are NOT doing the very invasive and oftentimes uncomfortable swabbing.
CAN I BE TESTED OFF CAMPUS?
For employees who have extenuating circumstances that necessitate the need to be COVID-19 tested off-campus, testing may be an option if the following procedures are followed:
- The test must be administered between Saturday, August 15 and Wednesday, August 19, 2020
- The test must be an RNA by PCR
- Complete the form Off Campus COVID-19 Testing and upload verification that you have been tested. Once you receive your results, copy and forward to firstname.lastname@example.org.
NOTE: Per the Health Department, if you live in Jefferson, Berkeley, or Morgan County you must be tested at Shepherd University.
WILL I NEED TO BE TESTED BEFORE CLASSES BEGIN?
Yes. All employees should be tested before August 24, the first day of classes.
WHY ARE WE NOT TESTING ALL WEEK?
It is our goal to get as many test results back as possible before the start of classes. Because of the high demand on labs during the pandemic, the turnaround time for test results could be as much as 5 days. Therefore, our goal is to get as many people tested as possible by August 19 in order to get test results back.
WHAT IF I TEST POSITIVE?
The Jefferson County Health Department and the Shepherd University Health Center will have your test results. You will be contacted if you are positive. If you are on campus, you will need to contact your supervisor and leave campus immediately. It is advisable that you contact your primary care physician.
WHAT IF I TEST NEGATIVE?
If you want full confirmation of a negative result, you will need to call the Shepherd University Health Center. Otherwise, you will not be contacted.
If you have any questions, please contact Human Resources at 304/876-5299.
Holly Morgan Frye
Vice President for Student Affairs and
Director of Community Relations