Main Menu

J-2 Employment Authorization

J-2 dependents are eligible to apply for employment authorization, provided they are in legal status and the employment is not for the purpose of supporting the J-1 principal. Before beginning any employment, the J-2 dependent must apply for and receive an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). The processing time for J-2 employment authorization is usually 2-3 months.

If employment authorization is granted and the EAD issued, it will be valid for any type of full-time or part-time employment for the period indicated on the EAD. EADs are usually issued for one year, or until the end date of the J-1’s program, whichever is less. J-2 employment authorization is valid only if both the J-2 and J-1 are maintaining legal status in the United States.

You must submit the following: