Main Menu

J-2 Dependents

Only the spouse and minor children (under age 21) who accompany the primary J-1 visa holder to the U.S. may receive J-2 dependent status. Their eligibility to stay legally in the U.S., as well as to extend their stay, is contingent upon the primary visa holder maintaining his/her legal status and extending his/her program in a timely manner.

All other family members must apply for a B-1 or B-2 visitor’s visa to gain entry to the U.S. For more information on B-1/B-2 visitor visas for other family members, refer to Information for inviting dependents, relatives and or friends to the U.S.

To request a DS-2019 for your dependent see International Affairs and provide your dependent’s full name, date and place of birth, current residential address, telephone number and email address (if applicable). When the DS-2019 is ready, you will be notified to come and pick it up.

Documents required to Apply for a J-2 Visa

Important information about J-2 Status

Employment and Study

J-2 employment may be authorized in by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service for 12-months or for the J-1 principal’s authorized stay as indicated on Form I-94 and Form DS-2019, whichever is shorter.  If the J-1 principal’s authorized period of stay is extended or is longer than 12-months, the Employment Authorization Document (EAD) may be renewed once a year.

For more information on applying for an Employment Authorization, refer to J-2 Employment Authorization Procedurs

After obtaining the EAD, the J-2 spouse may apply for a Social Security Card and will be subject to federal, state and local income tax on their earnings.

Currently there are no regulatory restrictions on study for J-2 dependents.