Main Menu

J-1 Status General Information

Entering the U.S. (DS-2019 and J-1 visa)
Maintaining legal J-1 status
Travel outside the U.S. and Re-entry
Grace period
Taxes and Mandatory annual reporting
Restrictions connected to J-1 visa status (link to page in J-1 Scholar part)

Entering the U.S. (DS-2019 and J-1 Visa)
You will need a form DS-2019 (Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitors), a valid J-1 visa (the visa stamp in your passport) issued by the U.S. embassy/consulate overseas*, a valid passport, and your SEVIS fee receipt, to enter the U.S. as a J-1 student. Please be advised that you may not enter the U.S. more than 30 days prior to the start date on your DS-2019 (refer to “Travel”, later on this page). Your entry into the U.S. will be recorded electronically on form I-94 card and marked “J-1” and “D/S” (duration of status). You will need to print this out when you report into Shepherd.

*Please note that Canadian citizens do not need U.S. visas to enter the U.S; rather, they will present their form DS-2019 and other immigration documents at the port of entry.

Maintaining Legal J-1 Status
As an J-1 student, you must meet certain obligations in order to maintain legal immigration status. Maintaining status is necessary in order to receive the benefits of J-1 status, such as employment and program extension, and can be crucial to a successful application for a change or adjustment of status in the future. Failure to maintain your non-immigrant status can result in serious problems with immigration and could lead to deportation from the U.S. Due to the complexity of U.S. immigration regulations, we recommend that you consult with International Student Affairs anytime you have questions or concerns related to your J-1 status.

To maintain lawful status, a J-1 student must:

U.S. government regulations require J-1 students to be in the U.S. for the primary purpose of attending school. In general, employment in the U.S. is restricted. The following employment possibilities exist for J-1 students:

For more information, refer to Employment Authorization for J-1 Students (link to other page in this section).

Dependents are defined as the spouse and/or minor children under 21 years old of the J-1 student. Please be aware that each of your dependents will need his/her own DS-2019 in order to obtain a J-2 visa at the U.S. embassy/consulate and to enter the United States. Having J-2 status does not automatically enable a J-2 dependent to work, but it does give the person the ability to apply for an Employment Authorization Document (EAD)(form I-765) from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). See J-2 Employment Authorization Instructions for details on the application process. The J-2 dependent does not have legal permission to work until the EAD is approved by USCIS.  Currently, there are no restrictions on study for J-2 dependents.  For more information, refer to J-2 Dependents (link to other page in this section)

Grace Period

When a J-1 student successfully completes his/her academic program or subsequent period of Academic Training, there is a 30-day grace period during which the J-1 student and any J-2 dependents may stay in the U.S. This allows for pleasure travel within the U.S. or preparations for departure. During this period the J-1 student may not work or travel internationally with the intent to reenter in J-1 status.  Students who leave their program for any reason prior to completion might not be eligible for a grace period.  Consult with International Student Affairs if you have questions!

J-1 students must file federal tax forms for every year that they are in the U.S. The deadlines to file the forms are April 15, if U.S. money is earned (this includes money earned from graduate student assistantships), and June 15, if no U.S. money is earned.  J-2 dependents must also file a form.  A tax treaty may apply and you may be exempt from Social Security taxes. For more information, refer to Taxes (link to another page in this section).

Return to the top of the page.