Resident Agreement Termination
Resident Agreement Termination
Student Request for Termination (Request by the Student AFTER Signing a Resident Agreement):Students may apply to cancel the Resident Agreement after it has been submitted for limited reasons. The student should not presume that the application has been approved until formal notification of the decision is issued by the Director of Residence Life or designee. Note: premature legal commitment by the resident student to housing off-campus does not constitute grounds for a release from this Resident Agreement. The primary reasons why the resident student may be approved to terminate the Resident Agreement for a specific time period after it has been submitted to the Residence Life Office include:
- Serve as a caregiver to a dependent (such as parenting a child ) or be married,
- Be enrolled for fewer than 12 credit hours in a semester,
- Be enrolled in an internship, student teaching, study abroad, or similar academic programs as to which on-campus residence would amount to a substantial and unreasonable hardship,
- Have a properly documented ADA or other authorized accommodation that has been approved through the Disability Support Services office, or
- Commute within the allotted commuting distance from a parent or legal guardian’s primary home. The parent or legal guardian’s home must be the primary residence of the parent or guardian and must be the exclusive domicile of the student, and be located within one of the following counties: Berkeley or Jefferson county, West Virginia; or in Frederick or Washington county, Maryland. NOTE: Living in a location other than the parent’s/guardian’s primary residence within the commuting range does not qualify the student for an exception and room and meal plan charges may be added to the student’s account.
Shepherd University believes living on-campus is an important piece of the educational experience. Therefore, all Shepherd University students are required to live on-campus. There are a set of residency requirement exceptions listed here.
Resident Termination Application Steps
- Step 1: Log into the Good Living Portal using your username and password.
- Step 2: Carefully read the Resident Agreement Termination application.
- Step 3: Read the Residency Requirement and determine which off-campus criteria you are selecting to be approved for off-campus living.
- Step 4: Upload any required documentation that the application requests, sign, and submit your application.
- Note: Your application is not considered complete until any required documentation is uploaded.
- Note: Shepherd University has a 4-year residency requirement and values campus living.
- Note: Students are not guaranteed off-campus housing, should not sign an off-campus lease unless approved by Residence Life, and should consult with Residence Life directly with any questions.
For more information, read our Resident Agreement 2019-2020.
If you have any additional questions, please contact:
Residence Life Office
Miller Hall, Lower Level
Office Hours: 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. (Monday-Friday)