1871 Shepherd College was chartered as a private college, September 2. The present McMurran Hall housed the first classes and administration.
1872 West Virginia State Legislature established Shepherd College as a state normal school, February 27. Joseph McMurran, who is considered the founder of Shepherd College, was the first chief administrative officer of the College.
1889 Reynolds Hall was constructed adjoining McMurran Hall.
1918 Thomas C. Miller became the ninth President of the College.
1920 Dr. W. H. S. White became the tenth President of the College.
1930 Shepherd State Normal School was authorized as a four-year college with the authority to award degrees.
1931 Eighteen graduates received the first degrees granted by the College. The State Legislature changed the institution’s name to Shepherd State Teachers College.
1943 Approval was given to return the institution’s name to Shepherd College and to broaden the curriculum.
1947 Dr. Oliver S. Ikenberry was became the eleventh President of Shepherd College.
1949 Authority was granted to award the Bachelor of Science degree.
1950 North Central Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools accredited the College for the first time.
1953 Teacher education programs were accredited by the American Association of Colleges for Teacher Education.
1954 Successful racial integration of the student body was accomplished.Accreditation from the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education was earned.
1955 The West Virginia Athletic Conference Football Championship was won for the first time as the football team completed an undefeated season.
1968 Dr. James A. Butcher was appointed twelfth President.
1969 The West Virginia Board of Regents was established as the governing agency for public higher education.1
1989 Michael P. Riccards became the thirteenth President.
1996 David L. Dunlop became the fourteenth President.
2003 The college began its first free-standing graduate program, a Master of Arts in Curriculum and Instruction (C. & I.).
2004 Shepherd College became Shepherd University. The Community and Technical College became an independent higher education institution.
2005 The University added masters programs in Business Administration, Music and Teaching.
2006 The University added a master’s program in College Student Development and Administration
2007 Dr. Suzanne Shipley became the fifteenth President of Shepherd University.
2012 The Higher Learning Commission re-accredited the University for the maximum period of ten years.
2013 Shepherd University opens at additional location in Martinsburg to serve adult learners.
2015 Shepherd University begins offering its first certificate at the graduate level in Appalachian Studies. Shepherd University begins offering its first doctoral program, the Doctor of Nursing Practice. Shepherd University begins offering a Bachelor of Music in Performance degree.
2016 Dr. Mary J.C. Hendrix became the sixteenth President of Shepherd University.
2017 Shepherd University added three graduate certificates: Health Administration Certificate, Public Management Certificate, and Sport Management Certificate.
2018 The University added its first Master of Science in Data Analytics and Information Systems. The Professional Education Unit at Shepherd University is granted Accreditation with Stipulation from the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP).