Navigating Campus During COVID-19
Face Coverings, Social Distancing, and Stopping the Spread of COVID-19
- Face coverings that cover the nose and mouth are required everywhere on campus. Faculty and students are required to wear face coverings in the classroom. The only places where face coverings are not required are in private vehicles with a single occupant, personal office spaces, and a student’s personal residence hall room.
- All students, faculty, and staff are to observe the social distancing standard of at least 6 feet apart from another person and also wear a face covering.
- All students, faculty, and staff are highly encouraged to wash their hands frequently throughout the day. If unable to do so, they may use the hand sanitizer dispensers that are available in campus buildings.
- Water fountains have been disabled to prevent the spread of COVID-19; please bring or purchase your own drinks during the day.
- All employees are required to take their temperature each day before coming to campus and fill out the Employee Health Form on Shepherd’s homepage within 30 minutes of coming to campus. Students will be required to have their temperature taken upon arriving to campus at one of several locations across campus.
- Community visitors are to wear face coverings while on campus.
- To ensure social distancing, academic classroom usage has been adjusted for reduced capacity. There will be an increase in online courses and other innovations to accommodate the reduced on-campus classroom capacity.
- Seating plans for classrooms, labs, and conference rooms are being developed to provide de-densification and social distancing.
- Building cleaning and disinfecting will continue with greater frequency.
- Facilities employees will receive training from the National Guard on safe cleaning best practices.
- High touch surfaces, i.e., doorknobs, stair railings, will be wiped and disinfected more frequently than they normally have been.
- Plexiglass guards have been installed for offices where individuals interact with the public, students, and employees.
- Restroom capacity will be reduced to promote social distancing.
- Ikenberry Hall, Gardiner Hall, Human Resources, and the Student Center opened to the public on July 1. Building doors remain locked; visitors are to call the office phone number listed on the door signs. Visitors are to wear masks at all times while on campus.
- Opening of other campus buildings will be announced before the fall semester begins on Monday, August 24.
- Separate and specific entrances and exits will be indicated by signage for all campus buildings.
- Stairwells will be marked with signage for single use (up stairwells and down stairwells) to ensure distance, when possible.
- Elevators will be marked with signage to indicate recommended reduced capacity limits.
- Individuals are to keep right when traveling in hallways and on sidewalks and paths.
Town of Shepherdstown
- The town of Shepherdstown requests that everyone wear face coverings.
- Store owners have the right to refuse service to anyone not wearing a face covering; offenders will be asked to leave the store premises. Please be aware that the Shepherdstown Police Department will enforce non-compliance with the town face covering order.
- Please pay attention to COVID signage posted in Shepherdstown.