Shepherd University and Frederick Community College have collaborated to offer you the Bachelor’s Degree Dual Admission Program. This program affords you all of the educational opportunities provided by both institutions. For years, Shepherd and FCC have worked closely together. As neighboring institutions, they are committed to providing you with a program that ensures a smooth transition from the community college setting to the four-year institution.
What Does This Mean For You, The FCC Student?
- You can benefit from a world-class education at two of the lowest-cost educational institutions in our region.
- You can continue your education close to home, taking advantage of on-campus living, study abroad, athletic, and leadership programs.
- You will receive academic advising to assist you in transferring your coursework to Shepherd and ensuring a timely graduation.
- You will receive a 25% tuition discount when you transfer to Shepherd if you meet the Dual Admissions requirements :
What Are The Requirements?
- You have completed and submitted the Dual Admissions application prior to enrolling at Shepherd indicating your intended start date.
- You have completed, or will complete prior to transfer, at least 30 college-level credits from FCC.
- You have achieved at least a 2.8 cumulative GPA from FCC and all college work.
- Your official, final FCC transcript is received at Shepherd by the deadline: September 15 for the fall semester and February 15 for the spring semester. Your discount will be awarded once your official, final transcript is received.
- You transfer directly from FCC to Shepherd and enroll at Shepherd at full-time status (12 credits or more) and as a non-West Virginia resident.
What Else Should You Know?
- Acceptance for Dual Admissions occurs only for the spring and fall semesters.
- The tuition discount is available for up to six consecutive semesters depending on how many credit hours are brought to Shepherd University upon enrolling.
- To maintain this tuition discount while enrolled at Shepherd, you must begin each fall and spring semester at full-time status (12 credits or more), you must earn at least 24 credit hours by the end of each spring semester, excluding summer, and you must enroll continuously each semester, excluding summer, as the discount does not apply to summer semesters. Students who begin this program in the spring semester need to earn at least 12 credit hours at the end of the spring semester to maintain the discount.
- To maintain the tuition discount while enrolled at Shepherd, you must maintain a minimum Shepherd University GPA of 2.8.
- Admission in this program applies only to general admission to the university and does not guarantee admission to a specific major or academic program. Admission to certain majors and academic programs may require additional qualifications, and guidelines can be found in the academic catalog.
Shepherd University Transfer Policy
Students who transfer from a regionally accredited junior or community college are allowed a maximum of 72 semester hours toward the 120 credit hour minimum for graduation from Shepherd University. In compliance with the West Virginia Higher Education Policy Commission, students who have completed more than 72 hours of course work may select the courses they wish to have evaluated as part of their semester hours of credit counted toward graduation. The total number of credit hours earned will be calculated in the student’s overall grade point average. All grades and credits transferred to Shepherd University are posted on the student’s permanent record exactly as received from all other colleges and/or universities with the following provisions: 1) plus and minus signs will be ignored, 2) D and F grades can be replaced only if earned within the first 60 hours attempted, and 3) for admission purposes, all grades on the student’s transcript(s) will be used in computing the grade point average.
If you would like to speak to a FCC academic advisor or Shepherd University admissions counselor regarding this program please contact: