Main Menu


Employment is any type of work performed or services provided in exchange for money, tuition, fees, books, supplies, room or for any other benefit or compensation.

Scholars and Specialists in J-1 visa status may only work within the original purpose for the exchange visit (e.g., teach, conduct research, present training, etc.). Frequently, authorization will be stated within the terms of the invitation letter. For example, a visiting Professor on sabbatical may be at Shepherd supported by his or her home university with no specified authorization to work. On the other hand, a visiting Professor may also be offered the opportunity to teach a class for pay. Once a Scholar or Specialist is at Shepherd, there may also be an opportunity to work, but again, it must be directly related to the original purpose for the visit. An example of this is a visiting Professor who is subsequently invited to present a lecture or speech at another university for which an honorarium is provided. This can be allowed, but it will require a supplemental authorization.

Employment authorization can be complicated and hosting departments and visiting scholars are encouraged to contact the Director of International Initiatives for assistance. He has been designated by the U.S. Department of State as the responsible officer to administer the J-1 program for Shepherd University.


Social Security

Human Resources