Main Menu

Employment Authorization

Employment is any type of work performed or services provided in exchange for money, tuition, fees, books, supplies, room or for any other benefit or compensation. J-1 students are required to have authorization from the J-1 program sponsor in order to work in the U.S. If employed without proper authorization, the student will have violated his/her J-1 status which may result in losing benefits of J-1 program and jeopardize his/her permission to remain in or reenter the U.S.

Obtaining Employment Authorization
The Office of International Initiatives (OII) is designated by the U.S. Department of State as the J-1 program sponsor for Shepherd University.  This office is obligated to evaluate the proposed employment in the context of your academic program and your personal circumstances. If your DS-2019 specifies the program sponsor (item #2) as “Shepherd University” and the exchange visitor category (item #4) as “student”, you may apply for employment authorization at OII.  If your J-1 program is sponsored by another organization (e.g. Institute for International Education), you must contact them to discuss your eligibility to work.  You may not begin employment unless you have obtained employment authorization from your program sponsor and the begin date is effective.

Types of Employment
As a J-1 student, you may qualify for the following types of employment:
On-Campus Add hyperlink
Academic Training
Related Topics
Social Security
Important Information About J1 Status (Link back to main page)
Employment Authorization