Shepherd University may award the title of Distinguished Professor to honor a faculty member who has achieved a record of publication, or performance, or creative activity at the highest levels of professional accomplishment and peer recognition of that accomplishment. Candidates must meet all (a through e) of the criteria below to be considered for the title of Distinguished Professor.
- Excellence in teaching and service to academia
- Evidence of current professional activity in the area of expertise through peer reviewed publications or juried performances at the regional and national or international level
- A record of current activities with professionally related groups in the area of expertise
- Receipt of awards or recognition in the area of expertise from national or international professional organizations
- Hold the rank of Professor with tenure
- All nominations will be made to the Provost and the Deans/Provost Council
- Nominations for faculty may be made by the faculty member’s department chair or College dean
- Nominations for faculty may be made by another faculty member to the nominee’s department chair or College dean
- Faculty members may make a self-nomination to their department chair or College dean
- Nominations of a dean will be made by the Provost
- After consultation with the academic deans the Provost will make a recommendation to the University President
- The University President will inform the faculty member and the Provost of the decision made in each case
a. Faculty applications for Distinguished Professor require letters of recommendation from the department chair in which the faculty member is housed, and the College dean. Faculty within the home department of an applicant may submit letters of recommendation for the applicant. These letters must include approval or disapproval of the nomination.
b. Application for Distinguished Professor by a department chair will require a letter from the department faculty and the dean of the College. These letters must indicate approval or disapproval of the nomination.
Recognition of individuals awarded the title of Distinguished Professor will be made at the fall semester tenured faculty reception at Popodicon and at the spring University Assembly Meeting.