The Dean of Graduate Studies and Faculty Affairs is the principal administrator for all graduate programs and continuing education. The Dean provides leadership in the development and implementation of graduate program goals and assumes ultimate responsibility for the quality, effectiveness, and progress of all graduate programs. The Dean also provides administrative training to chairs and deans.
The Dean, as appointed by the Provost, will serve as the chair of the University Graduate Council. In cooperation with this committee, the Dean will be responsible for developing and implementing an ongoing strategic plan for establishing and administering all graduate programs at Shepherd University.
The Dean reports to the Provost.
- Specific duties of the Dean include, but are not limited to:
- Coordinates all graduate programs and continuing education activities.
- Chairs Graduate Council and develops consensus in the group.
- Provides the Provost with short and long range plans for graduate programs and continuing education activities.
- Serves as primary contact with the Higher Learning Commission for graduate programs.
- Teaches at least one (1) graduate course per year.
- Assumes final responsibility for preparing, submitting and monitoring all graduate and continuing education budgets.
- Helps raise funds for endowment for and cost-sharing in graduate programs.
- Provides opportunities of professional development for graduate faculty.
- Coordinates academic appeals by graduate students.
- Maintains official recruitment records.
- Recruits qualified graduate and continuing education students.
- Schedules graduate courses and continuing education activities.
- Serves on the council of Deans.
- Serves as graduate liaison with other academic and administrative units within the University.
- Maintains appropriate local community and faculty contacts to gauge demand for continuing education programs, i.e., certificate and undergraduate credit-bearing offerings.
- Ensures appropriate planning for and implementation of continuing education activities.
- Provides leadership supports the University’s diversity objectives.
- Coordinates review of faculty policy and procedures.
- Provides training for faculty administrators.
- Coordinates Title IX and Merit processes.
- Assumes such additional duties and responsibilities as required, under direction of the Provost.