Instructional Design Services
CTL Course Design Services
CTL believes that pedagogy informs technology. We value the importance of the instructor’s unique approach to teaching as it the main catalyst for student engagement. Therefore, our instructional designer will collaborate with you to develop online and face-to-face courses that align with your teaching.
The Instructional Designer can assist faculty with all stages of online course design by taking on many different roles – from assisting instructors as they work on their own courses to completely designing a course from the ground up based on faculty content. Using 30 years of teaching experience along with certifications in online course design, the ID can help you build and execute your courses using Quality Matters best practices. In addition to assisting with online course modalities, the ID can also support your face-to-face teaching methods by providing ways to facilitate student engagement with active learning practices. Explore the services below for more details and feel free to contact Kate Hoof for a one-on-one meeting.
Ready to build your online course?
Check out CTL’s recommended course building timeline for more information. For answers to your questions or to set up an appointment with the instructional designer, email Kate Hoof at firstname.lastname@example.org
Intensive Intermediate Online Training
Please use this form to sign-up for the summer session of your choice.
Join us on Thursdays from 2:00-2:30 for virtual workshops on effective online teaching and learning. Stay tuned for a spring semester schedule.
Links To Recorded Workshops
- Brightspace announcements, training schedule, and intro to Content Tool video
- Brightspace tour and how to add a new module video
- How to add existing content to Brightspace video
- How to create new content including video notes (lectures) in Brightspace video
- Last part of Zoom workshop session, how to create a new assignment and
professor Q and A video
- Building Your first Brightspace Course: Workshop Recording
- Brightspace Quizzes and Tests Training: Workshop Recording
- Set-up your gradebook in Brightspace.
- Using Video Note in Brightspace
Teaching Over Zoom
- Video #1 : Using Zoom: Whiteboard and Chats as a Backchannel
- Video #2 Using Zoom: Set Agendas, Define Expectations and Flip the Classroom
- Video #3. Using Zoom: Setting up and Launching Polls
- Video #4 Using Zoom: Breakout Rooms and Creating/Launching Shared Documents for Small Groups
- Video#1: Introduction to Accessibility and Overview of Seven Core Skills
- Video #2: Creating Video Captions and Transcripts Using Microsoft Stream
- Video #3: Conducting Synchronous Class Meetings with Live Captions using Teams Meetings
- Video #4: Three of the Seven Core Skills: Contrast, Lists and Tables
- Video #5: Core Accessibility Skills: Alt Text, Headings, and Descriptive Links
- Recording of Synchronous Workshop: Accessibility
Video Tips and Tricks
- Video #1 Framing Your Camera Shot for Lectures or Class Meetings 3:31
- Video #2 Lighting Your Camera Shot for Lectures or Class Meetings 3:19
- Video #3 Audio Tips and Tricks 2:06
- Video #4 Choosing a Background 2:21
Facilitating Group Projects
Online Certification Training at Shepherd University
Contact Kate Hoof to sign up for Shepherd’s online certification course at: email@example.com. This course will now run as needed throughout the year. This course is asynchronous (go at your own pace). You must have a Shepherd University email address to participate. Free.