Acceptable Use Policy of Shepherd University
You have been assigned an account for completing assigned classwork, the purpose stated on the “Shepherd University Computer Account Request Form”, or the required duties of your position. This resource is a privilege, not a right, and as such may be revoked if your use:
1) compromises the privacy of computer files held by other members of the University community;
2) attempts to disrupt, destroy, deface or damage computer systems;
3) violates software licensing agreements,
4) violates any law, including but not limited to copyright, obscenity, or defamation law;
5) harasses or threatens other users eg. sending abusive, voluminous obscene or unwanted messages or files);
6) is for personal profit;
7) furthers any act that is listed as prohibited in governance publications such as the Student Code of Conduct or the Faculty or Staff Handbooks;
8) attempts to breach the security of any computer system to which you have not been granted access.
Shepherd University may take disciplinary action, which may include, but is not necessarily limited to:
1) recommendations for suspension or termination,
2) legal action to recover damages,
3) referral to law enforcement authorities.
The University reserves the right to suspend or revoke, with or without advance notice, any account when necessary for an administrative purpose.
Information Technology Services realizes that computer “games” or Internet exploration can be useful for learning. Limited resources dictate that you participate in these activities only when ample resources are available for others with assigned work. Failure to yield your work station to others with assignments will be construed as an attempt to disrupt computer systems and can lead to revocation of your account.
This account is for your use only. It may not be shared with others without the written consent of I. T. Services Management. Protect your password. Do not leave your account logged in and unattended. You will be held responsible for all uses and abuses of this account.
–Student Accounts remain active while you are a student, unless revoked.
–Faculty/Staff accounts remain active while you are employed, unless revoked.
This policy may be changed at any time without prior notice, and may be viewed via Rail.