The Seven Purposes of Theta Xi
The purpose of Theta Xi is to provide a college home environment for its active members in which fellowship and alumni guidance lead to wholesome mental, moral, physical, and spiritual growth. To that end Theta Xi actively supports and augments college and community efforts to make individual members more mature and chapter groups more useful units of society. Through its alumni and undergraduate leadership Theta Xi endeavors to assist each member to develop:
- ONE: intellectual curiosity that assures the highest scholarship rating consistent with his ability;
- TWO: habits that lead to better mental and physical health;
- THREE: sincerity in his association with others and confidence in himself;
- FOUR: responsibility to chapter, college, community, and country;
- FIVE: leadership that comes from practicing the principles of democratic self-government;
- SIX: interests and activities outside regular scholastic studies that employ spare time to advantage;
- SEVEN: spiritual understanding that provides a reservoir of strength to draw upon when faced with conditions beyond comprehension.
THE PURPOSE OF THETA XI, as printed here, is a public statement of what we believe in as a Fraternity. It was adopted in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania by the 87th Anniversary Convention in 1951. A key phrase in the purpose is that "Theta Xi endeavors to assist each member to develop." No one loses his own individuality, but rather is encouraged to develop more fully, while adding the responsibilities of membership in a group. What do we strive to develop in Theta Xi men?
We are interested in instilling in each member a deeper sense of intellectual curiosity, in order to bring about the highest scholarship rating consistent with his ability. Theta Xi works to develop this intellectual curiosity, realizing this will broaden the interests of the individual, enabling him to experience and enjoy the varied opportunities available to him throughout life, long after his college years have ended. We also try to develop better mental and physical habits, a sincerity in dealing with others, self-confidence, a greater sense of personal responsibility, an appreciation of democratic principles, participation in outside activities, and an awareness of the strength spiritual guidance and growth can provide when one faces the challenges of life.
In many ways, the Fraternity is a guardian of the socialization process in the college environment. While these high ideals all sound fine and almost everyone would accept them, it is the daily demonstration of these principles that will make your quest successful. Thus, the Purpose of Theta Xi is not just a document to have neatly framed and displayed on the walls of the chapter house; it is a living guide to be studied and practiced in your quest for Theta Xi and your understanding of brotherhood.