Individuals who take summer courses at Shepherd University will have the opportunity to live in Dunlop Hall for free if you enroll for 6 undergraduate credits or more during summer terms. Graduate students are eligible at a rate of 3 credits or more. The free housing offer is available for each summer term. To see if you qualify, details are listed below or call our office at 304-876-5172.
Benefits of taking a summer class:
- Make upcoming semesters a little bit lighter
- Catch up on credits or pre-requisites
- Obtain the credits you need to graduate on time or early
- Keep yourself in routine to make the transition to the next academic year more successful
To register for a summer courses, visit: http://www.shepherd.edu/registrar
Free Summer Housing Program Details
- Available to all individuals taking Shepherd University summer courses (commuters, residents, graduate students, and visiting students are encouraged to apply!)
- A free Dunlop Hall apartment that has two to three bedrooms with two people in each room*
- Wireless and Ethernet port internet access
- Furnished living room
- Full kitchen with four high-top chairs for dining
- One bathroom for each apartment
- Twin beds
- Desk and chair
- Three-drawer night stand
- Built-in closets
- Cable television access included
- Supportive and available staff
- Free Access to Laundry
*The free summer housing is for a double occupancy room. If you do not wish to have a roommate, there is an additional fee for single occupancy requests. You are also only allowed free housing during the Summer term dates listed below if Residence Life determines eligibility. If you wish to arrive earlier or stay later, you will have to apply for extended stay by contacting our office at 304-876-5172. Additional nights not covered under the free summer housing program are assessed at $25/night.
Steps to Sign-Up for Summer Housing 2017
- Register for summer term courses or decide to live on campus during the summer*.
- Complete a Summer 2017 Housing Contract available for download below or in the Residence Life Office in Miller Hall, Lower Level.
- Submit a $100 damage deposit unless you already have one on file (typically current residents have this on file)
- Residence Life Office will confirm your eligibility for free housing or will assess fees, as appropriate.
- After reviewing and approving your paperwork, Residence Life will communicate your check-in and check-out dates.
Summer 2017 Housing Terms
Summer Housing Term I* : Sunday, May 21 to Thursday June 22
- To receive free housing, you must be enrolled in 6 credits during the housing term I dates**. Graduate students only need to enrolled in 3 credits during the housing term I dates.
- Example 1: Student is taking 6 credits during summer term I.
- Example 2: Student is taking 3 credits in summer term I and 3 credits in summer term III.
Summer Housing Term II* : Monday, July 3 to Thursday, August 3
- To receive free housing, you must be enrolled of 6 credits during the housing term II dates**. Graduate students only need to enrolled in 3 credits during the housing term II dates.
- Example 1: Student is taking 6 credits during summer term II.
- Example 2: Student is taking 3 credits in summer term II and 3 credits in summer term III.
Summer Housing Term III* : Sunday, May 21 to Thursday, August 3
- To receive free housing, you must be always enrolled for a total of 6 credits during the housing term III dates**. Graduate students only need to enrolled in 3 credits during the housing term II dates.
- Example 1: Student is taking 6 credits during summer term III.
- Example 2: Student is taking 3 credits in summer term I, 3 credits in summer term II, and 3 credits in summer term III.
*Students enrolling for both Summer I and Summer II do not need to check out of the residence halls between sessions. However, you will need to check with the Residence Life office to see if you qualify for free housing during both terms. Additionally, you will need to request an extended stay if you wish to check-in or check-out early. This is assessed an additional $25/night cost. We may not be able to accommodate these requests, so please call our office at 304-876-5172 if you are requesting extended stay or early arrival.
**Residence Life reserves the right to determine whether a student is eligible for free summer housing. If you have questions about your eligibility, please contact our office at 304-876-5172.
Summer Housing Costs (if not eligible for free summer housing)
|Check-in Date||Sunday, May 21||Monday, July 3||Sunday, May 21|
|Check-out Date||Thursday, June 22||Thursday, August 3||Thursday, August 3|
|Cost for students registered and eligible for free summer housing||No cost||No Cost||No Cost|
|Cost for students not eligible for for free summer housing||$870||$870||$1740|
|Additional cost for single occupancy room***||$435||$435||$870|
|Additional cost for housing not during Summer term dates||$25/night||$25/night||$25/night|
*Students enrolling for both Summer I and Summer II do not need to check out of the residence halls between sessions
**Summer Term III covers the span of Summer I and II terms, so students will not be required to pay fees for Summer I and II if they choose to pay and stay during the Summer III term dates.
***Single rooms must be requested. The free summer housing program only covers the cost of a double occupancy room.