Welcome to 2012
New Student Orientation!
Shepherd University New Student Orientation is
Thursday, August 23-Saturday, August 25.
Dear New Student,
In just a few weeks you will be arriving on Shepherd University’s campus and will be faced with important decisions which will impact your success as a college student. Knowing what resources are available to you and how to access them will be critical to your success at Shepherd. Participating in Orientation is an important first step in learning about those resources. College isn’t easy, but it can be as transforming and life-changing as you allow it to be. Many exciting possibilities are awaiting you! I hope you will take advantage of all that is offered.
A few important facts about Orientation:
- The material covered in August Orientation is different from that covered during the Advisement & Registration sessions.
- You will be divided into two groups based on your last name: Blue Group A-K; Gold Group L-Z
It is imperative that you stay with your assigned groups for each session.
- There are five mandatory sessions that you are required to attend. Each will offer different information that is important for you to know.
- Convocation is required of all new students and marks the beginning of your academic career at Shepherd University.
- New this year – Class of 2016 photo!
Who is required to attend Orientation?
- All first year students, transfer students with less than 26 credits, and new residential students are
required to attend.
- Transfer students with more than 26 credits are
encouraged to attend.
- Students over the age of 25 are welcome to attend, but not required.
Shepherd takes very seriously the issues covered in all of
the required sessions. The information presented in these sessions
will be informative and often conveyed in an enjoyable manner.
When should I arrive on campus?
- Students registered to participate in the Emerging Leaders in Service program will arrive on Monday, August 20, 2012; you will receive more details from the Office of Student Community Service via email to your Shepherd account.
- Students not participating in the Emerging Leaders in Service program who will be living in the Residence Halls will move in Thursday, August 23. Residence Life will be sending residential students a separate letter with a specific arrival time and check-in instructions.
- Commuter students will join residential students in Orientation activities on Friday and Saturday, August 24 and 25 (see enclosed brochure)
- Athletes and Shepherd University Band members will follow their respective move in schedules.
Please review the enclosed informational brochure carefully and be sure to follow the times of your assigned group. If you have any questions regarding on-campus housing, contact the Residence Life Office at 304-876-5172. If you have any question regarding the Orientation activities planned for August, please call the Student Affairs Office at
304-876-5402. I look forward to welcoming you to your new home at Shepherd University.
Holly Morgan Frye
Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs