Connect With Student Affairs

International Student Affairs

Student Center
Suite 122

Phone: 304.876.5325

International Student Affairs

Documents and Immigration Status

As a Shepherd University International Student, you could be aware of the following: Please carefully read page 2 that accompanies your I-20. This page has very important information regarding your status as an F-I student. It is the sole responsibility of the student to become knowledgeable about immigration regulations. Our jobs as Designated School Officials (DSO’s) are designed to provide you information and counsel from the standpoint of how these rules apply to you at Shepherd University. You may always review federal regulations regarding your F-1 status. They can be viewed online at this link.

If you have any questions please refer to your DSO. Stay informed! Don’t rely on your friends or the media for accurate information. Any immigration changes/updates are listed in the Federal Register.

Other websites include:

Practical Training (Employment)

Students who maintain F-1 status are allowed to work on campus up to 20 hours per week during school, and up to 40 hours per week during vacation periods. In general, after having maintained F-1 status for one academic year, student can apply for authorization for off-campus employment under the following categories only: Severe economic hardship, internships with international organizations, Curricular Practical Training (CPT), and Optional Practical Training (OPT). Please keep in mind that all employment is subject to certain restrictions, require USCIS notification, and that your primary purpose in the United States is to pursue a degree rather than work. You should not count on employment as a means of supporting your studies. Unauthorized employment is illegal and is an extremely severe violation of your F-1 status.

In addition to your immigration records, you should bring other documents that may help you obtain services in the United States: - driver's license and/or personal identification from your country - medical and/or academic records - other documents you think will be useful. Remember to verify that the documents have not expired. Other documents you may need to obtain while in the United States are a Driver’s License and a Social Security Card.

International Student Affairs Home





What to Bring


Helpful Information


Applying to
Shepherd University  

To apply to Shepherd University,
contact the Admissions Office and ask to speak with
Melissa Godwin
Admissions Counselor
AIM Screen Name: suadmmg

Healthcare Questions

Questions regarding immunizations & health insurance can be answered by Student Health Services. The Health Center services are offered free of charge to students and cover minimal injuries and illnesses. There are some free clinics in the area that are available to international students. You can visit the Eastern Panhandle Free Clinic website. Student may want to purchase health insurance for their time studying in the United States.