Is My Relationship Abusive?
To figure out whether you may be in an abusive or potentially
abusive relationship, answer these questions about how your date
- Does my date ever hit, slap, shove, kick or restrain me?
- Does my date ever threaten to hurt me?
- Does my date call me names or insult me?
- Does my date become jealous if I talk to or go places with other people?
- Does my date make me tell where I am all the time?
- Does my date blame alcohol or drugs for becoming angry and losing control?
- Does my date ever touch me without my permission or force me to have sex against my will?
- Does my date threaten to commit suicide if I try to leave the relationship?
- Am I afraid to disagree with my date?
When I spend time with other people, does my date become angry and accuse me of cheating?
- Do I avoid seeing friends or doing things because I'm afraid my date will get angry?
If you answer "yes" to any of these questions, you may be in a problem relationship. If there is a pattern to these behaviors, you could even be at risk of emotional and/or physical harm. Talk to someone now about getting help.
Source: Adolescent Health Initiative of the West Virginia Bureau for Public Health.