Shepherd University

SU Interpersonal Violence
 Resource Center

Relationship Violence

What can I do if I'm being abusive to my partner?

  • Stop using abuse of any form (physical, sexual, economic or emotional), including threats and intimidation.
  • Accept responsibility for your behavior. Remember that the use of violence is a choice and you can choose to change that behavior.
  • Do not make excuses for your violence or blame your partner for your abusive behavior.
  • Seek professional help from a qualified counselor who is knowledgeable about partner abuse.
  • Alcohol, drug use or mental health problems may make abusive situations worse but they are not excuses for abusive behavior.
  • Contact an on-campus resource:
    • Shepherd University Counseling Center, 304-876-5161
    • Dave Cole, Dean of Students
    • Dr. Marie DeWalt, Title IX Coordinator
    • Any member of the Shepherd University Police Department
    • Any member of the Residence Life Staff
  • Contact an off-campus resource: o The National Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-800-799-SAFE (7233)