Orientation Step I: Advisement & Registration
Orientation Step I: Advisement & Registration (A&R) for First Year students is a required two day, overnight program. A&R for Transfer and Readmited students is a required one day program. Reservations are required. During A&R, students will meet with a facutly advisor, register for classes, receive their Rambler Card, meet upperclass students, learn about programs and servcies offered by Shepherd, and acclimate themselves to the campus. Parents and families are invited and encouraged to attend, as session will be provided specifically for you.
Participation in A&R allows you to:
- Become familiar with campus
- Learn more about your academic major and minor
- Meet your academic advisor, faculty and administration
- Create your class schedule and register for classes
- Meet new and current students and learn from others' experiences
What type of student am I?
- First Year Student: an individual who has not completed any course work at an institution of higher education, or individuals who earned college credits before graduating from high school, or less than 24 college level credits earned.
- Transfer: a student who has completed course work and received credit from an institution of higher education other than Shepherd University
- Readmit: a student who has completed coursework and received credit from Shepherd University and now wishes to re-enroll at Shepherd.
- Transfer/Readmit: a student, who has completed coursework and received credit at Shepherd, attended another college/university after Shepherd and is now returning to Shepherd.
Who will I meet during the Advisement & Registration program?
- Faculty, students, Administrators, Staff, Residence Life, Academic Support Services, Academic Advising, TRiO, Financial Aid, IT Services, Student Center, Dining Services, Counseling Services, Health Center, Disability Support Services, Multicultural Student Affairs, Student Employment, Student Activities, Community Services, Service Learning, Shepherd University Bookstore, Shepherd University Police Department, Athletics, and more.
Should I bring my parent or family member to A&R?
- Yes, parents and/or family members are invited and encouraged to attend A&R with their student.
- Reservations are required for Parent/Family members. In order to process parent/family reservation, your student reservation must accompany your parent/family reservation, or your student must already be registered for A&R.
- A $10 charge for each family member who attends A&R with their student can be paid at A&R check-in with check or cash.
How much will it cost to attend Orientation?
- All first year, transfer, and readmitted students will be billed a Student Services Fee of $140 to cover the expenses of Orientation Step I: A&R and Orientation Step II: New Student Welcome. This charge will be placed on the student’s billing statement.
- There will be a $10 charge for each family member who attends, payable by cash or check. This fee includes all Family Orientation materials, sessions, etc. and may be paid during check-in at Orientation Step I: A&R
What does the $140 Student Services Fee cover?
- All first year, transfer, and readmitted students will receive materials, meet with an academic adviser, register for classes, and participate in information sessions to assist you in a smooth transition to Shepherd University. Specific information for each student will be preparedprior to your arrival and students will leave campus with helpful materials, a class schedule and new connections.
Reminder: Have you paid your enrollment deposit?
- All students are required to submit a $100 enrollment deposit to the Office of Admissions. Please be aware that you will not be permitted to register for classes unless the enrollment deposit is paid.
- If you have no already paid the enrollement deposit please do so
immediately. Send your $100 enrollment deposit check paybale to:
SHEPHERD UNIVERSITY OFFICE OF ADMISSIONS
or CALLING THE BUSINESS OFFICE AT 304-876-5284
Please note that the enrolled deposit is seperate from the Student Services Fee
Because I will attend Orientation Step I: A&R, do I also have to attend Orientation Step II: New Student Welcome in August?
- Yes. Step I and Step II are two separate programs. Each provides different information and services to our students. All students new to Shepherd are required to attend both programs.