Advisement & Registration
A&R is a required program for all new, transfer and readmitted students. During A&R, students will meet with a faculty advisor, register for classes, receive their Rambler Card, purchase parking permits (if needed), meet upper class students, learn about available programs and services, and acclimate themselves to the campus. A&R for first year students is a two day, overnight program. A&R for Transfer and Readmitted students is a one day program. Parents and families are invited and encouraged to attend with their student. Reservations are required.
Participation in A&R allows you to:
- Become familiar with campus
- Learn more about your academic major and minor
- Meet your academic advisor, faculty and administration
- Create your class schedule and register for classes
- Meet new and current students and learn from others' experiences
What type of student am I?
- First Year Student: an individual who has not completed any course work at an institution of higher education, or individuals who earned college credits before graduating from high school, or less than 24 college level credits earned.
- Transfer: a student who has completed course work and received credit from an institution of higher education other than Shepherd University
- Readmit: a student who has completed coursework and received credit from Shepherd University and now wishes to re-enroll at Shepherd.
- Transfer/Readmit: a student, who has completed coursework and received credit at Shepherd, attended another college/university after Shepherd and is now returning to Shepherd.
Who will I meet during the Advisement & Registration program?
- Faculty, students, Administrators, Staff, Residence Life, Academic Support Services, Academic Advising, TRiO, Financial Aid, IT Services, Student Center, Dining Services, Counseling Services, Health Center, Disability Support Services, Multicultural Student Affairs, Student Employment, Student Activities, Community Services, Service Learning, Shepherd University Bookstore, Shepherd University Police Department, Athletics, and more.
Should I bring my parent or family member to A&R?
- Yes, parents and/or family members are invited and encouraged to attend Advisement & Registration with their student. Reservations are required for Parent/Family members. In order to process parent/family reservation, your student reservation must accompany your parent/family reservation, or your student must already be registered for A&R. There is a $10 charge for each family member who attends A&R with their student that can be paid at A&R check-in.
How much will it cost to attend A&R and Orientation?
- All first year, transfer, and readmitted students will be billed a Student Services Fee of $140 to cover the expenses of Advisement & Registration and Orientation. This charge will be placed on the student’s billing statement three business days prior to the A&R session for which the reservation has been made. If you are unable to attend your Advisement and Registration session you MUST cancel your reservation online at: A&R Cancellation. This cancellation MUST be made a minimum of three business days prior to your intended arrival or the student will be billed the full amount of $140. You do not need to send payment now, nor do you need to pay when you arrive for A&R. The charge will simply be added to the students billing statement. There is a $10 charge for each family member who attends A&R with their student that can be paid at A&R check-in.
What does the $140 Student Services Fee cover?
- Whether you are a first year, transfer, or readmitted student, you will receive materials, meet with an academic adviser, register for classes, and participate in informational sessions to assist you in a smooth transition to Shepherd University.
Reminder: Have you paid your enrollment deposit?
- All students are required to submit a $100 enrollment deposit to the Office of Admissions. Please be aware that you will not be permitted to register for classes unless the enrollment deposit is paid. If you have not already paid the enrollment deposit please do so immediately. Send your $100 enrollment deposit check payable to Shepherd University directly to the Office of Admissions or by calling the Cashier’s Office at 304-876-5284. Please note that the enrollment deposit is non-refundable and separate from the Student Services fee.
Because I will attend Advisement & Registration, do I also have to attend Orientation in August?
- Yes. A&R and Orientation are two separate programs that provide different information and services to our students. All new students are required to attend both programs.