Same Room Sign-Up (Same Room Sign up will begin again in Spring 2018)
- Below criteria and paperwork must be turned into Residence Life by Friday, March 10.
- Students must currently occupy a space on campus.
- Each person must have a Resident Agreement and a $100 damage deposit on file. (Most students have this, but you can call our office to check.)
- Each group must have the following turned in by the deadline: a Resident Agreement on file for each person listed on the form and a completed same room sign-up form (found below).
- At least half of the applicants must currently live in the requested space. This is defined as: At least one person for traditional hall rooms; At least two for most suites/apartments; At least three for select suites/apartments; and Other circumstances will be determined by Residence Life.
- Residents must completely fill the requested space. Filling a space is defined as: Two people for traditional hall rooms; Four people for most suite/apartment style rooms; Five to six people for select suites and apartments; and Other circumstances will be decided by Residence Life.
*Final discretion is held with the Residence Life Office.
**If you are unsure if you qualify, please contact our office, and we would be happy to assist.
Room Selection (For Returning Students, Room Selection will now happen on an individual basis by working with Robin Hosby by emailing Robin at email@example.com)
Each spring semester students select their rooms for the following academic years at Room Selection Night. Returning students, regardless of whether or not they have previously resided in the residence halls, may participate in the residence life room lottery process. Shepherd University has room selection process that allows students to actively participate in earning their room selection number. Students may earn room selection points through their academic classification (sophomore, junior, etc.), number of semesters on campus, GPA, and by attending residence hall programs. Students may lose room selection points by receiving judicial violations.
In order to sign up for room selection, students are required to complete a Resident Agreement and a Room Selection Application. Applications must be submitted as a group with chosen roommates. Each person must ensure that a $100 damage deposit is attached to their student account, and a group’s . All documents must be submitted to Residence Life by 4:30pm on March 10, 2017.
Room Selection Night : April 5, 2017 at 4:30 p.m. (an email will be sent to student emails with more information)
Residence Life would like to see every resident living in an ideal rooming situation. During the first three weeks of each semester, we ask our residents to get to know the other people sharing their living space. After that time, an Open Room Change may occur. Student must submit a Room Change Request form with the appropriate signature from all parties involved. Please recognize that this form is only a request and does not mean that approval will be granted. You must wait for authorization from the Housing Assignments Coordinator before beginning your move.
Once the Open Room Change period has ended, we strongly encourage our students to talk with their roommates and Resident Assistant about any problems they may be experiencing in their living space. If a problem persists, a Roommate Contract may be requested.
- Authorization from the Hall/Area Director and Housing Assignments Coordinator must occur before a move can begin.
- Residence Life will decide on a case by case basis if a room change may occur.
- Moving into a space without permission may result in improper checking in/out fees or student conduct charges.
Meal Plan Reduction
All full-time students are required to live on campus and must participate in the University’s board (meal) plan during the fall and spring semesters. Apartment residents may select an optional meal plan, but no meal plan is required.
Residence Life recognizes that a meal plan reduction is sometimes needed. Meal plan reductions may be granted for academic/employment schedules that require a student miss five or more meals per week, a documented disability that warrants a meal plan reduction or exemption, or other extenuating circumstances. In order to apply for a meal plan reduction, please contact the Residence Life office.
Off Campus (off-Campus Deadline has passed for fall 2017)
Residential life at Shepherd University is considered an integral part of the educational program and serves to provide both direct and indirect opportunities for intellectual growth and personal development. Thus, all full-time students are required to live on campus. Some students may meet the criteria for exemption to the on-campus residency requirement. Please note that an exemption is not automatic; a student must apply and receive written approval to live off campus from the Residence Life Office.
For more information on off campus housing eligibility, please contact the Residence Life Office.