Connect With Student Affairs

Residence Life

Miller Hall

Phone: 304.876.5172
Fax: 304.876-5150

Safety and Security

Safety and Security - Residence Halls


Each traditional hall and apartment building has a main desk. The desk serves as a security measure and is open from 6 p.m. to 1 a.m. Sunday - Wednesday, and from 6 p.m. to 3 a.m. on Thursday - Saturday. The desk is staffed by Resident Assistants and Hall Security. Both RAs and Hall Security are trained student staff employed by Residence Life. All guests accompanied by a resident of that building are required to stop and register at the desk during hours of operation.


Residence Life collaborates closely with officers of the Shepherd University Police in responding to and resolving incidents which occur in the residence halls; regular, confidential communication takes place between the two departments. In addition, officers of the Shepherd University Police may make unscheduled visits to residence halls and conduct regular walking tours in and around the exterior of buildings, to ensure no safety or security breaches exist. These rounds also provide officers and residents an opportunity to get to know each other better.


Shepherd University is not responsible for theft, damage, or loss of personal items belonging to residents. To prevent such occurrences, keep your door locked at all times, including when going to use bathroom facilities. It is suggested that residents do not keep large sums of money or expensive items in their rooms. If you do choose to keep such valuables in your room, it is highly recommended that you purchase insurance.


All Residence Halls utilize a residential student’s Rambler for Residence Hall access. On the outside of the buildings, the students must swipe their Ramblers for the front doors to open. On the inside of the buildings, students must dip their Ramblers in to our battery operated locks located on the front of each door to gain access to their rooms/suites/apartments.

If you are experiencing problems with your OUTSIDE access, please contact Residence Life or an RA for assistance.

If you are experiencing problems with your INSIDE access, please refer to this page: Onity Lock Lights for further information on what to do and who to call.


Related Resources