Home | Policies + Catalogs | Forms | Calendars + Schedules | Institutional Data | How Do I? | Site Map    


Current Shepherd University Students

A Shepherd student must apply for transfer approval to take a non-Shepherd University course prior to enrollment at another institution. To apply for transfer approval, the student must be in good academic standing (institutional and overall GPA of 2.0 or above). No course that a student has attempted at another institution while on suspension shall be accepted by Shepherd University. A student who previously enrolled in a Shepherd University course may not retake that course or its equivalent at another institution. Courses fulfilling major, minor, or teaching field requirements are rarely approved for off-campus enrollment.

To receive credit for a non-Shepherd course, a permission/approval form ( green form) must be obtained from the Registrar's Office prior to registration at the other institution . The student will follow all procedures enumerated on that form, including signatures of approval from the department chair of the discipline where the equivalent Shepherd course is offered, and from the student's faculty advisor. After obtaining the appropriate signatures, the student submits the completed form to the Registrar's Office.

If the transfer form is not approved for any reason, the student may petition the Admissions and Credits committee for an exception to academic policy regarding the transfer of those credits.

Articulation agreements do not apply to any repeated Shepherd University course in which a student has received a grade of D or F, or W. No Shepherd University D or F grade can be replaced by an equivalent transfer course

Once you have completed an approved course at another institution, you must have an official transcript sent to the Office of the Registrar at the address below.  No credits will be posted based on an unofficial transcript of any kind.

Prospective Students

First , you must have an official transcript sent to Shepherd by your previous school. No credits will be evaluated or posted based on an unofficial transcript of any kind. The Office of Admissions and the Office of the Registrar work together with the academic departments to evaluate your credits in an expeditious manner, and will make every effort to have an evaluation ready for you by the time you attend an advisement/registration session.  There are exceptions, of course:  if your official transcripts are delayed for any reason, for example, or if your credits require additional review by multiple department chairpersons.

Second , you must declare a major because different majors impose special restrictions.  If you change majors, by the way, the way your transfer credits apply to your new degree program may also change!

Third , after receiving your evaluation from the Office of Admissions, you may believe that some of your courses, which may have transferred as elective only, are very much like Shepherd's courses. Take a copy of your transcript, a catalog description of your course, and a course syllabus, and go to the chairperson of the department which offers the comparable course at Shepherd. Explain the course and be prepared to answer questions about what you learned. If the chairperson decides that it is a satisfactory substitute for the Shepherd course, he or she will send the appropriate form to the Office of the Registrar. 


Unfortunately, I earned some lousy grades at the school I'm transferring from. Will these show on my Shepherd transcript?

  • Our policy is to post all courses and grades--the good, the bad, and the ugly--so that your faculty advisor can understand your entire academic history.


I've taken a couple of different 4-credit lab science courses at the various schools I'm transferring from.  Do I still need to do another full 8-credit sequence from the General Studies listing in the catalog?

  • A statewide policy, the West Virginia Core Coursework Agreement, provides for flexibility for transfer students in how they satisfy our General Studies requirements.  With some restrictions--such as when your degree program requires a specific General Studies course or sequence of courses, for example--you can use transfer courses falling within broad General Studies categories to satisfy our General Studies requirements.  So, depending on your program, we might be able to allow those two 4-credit lab sciences to satisfy our GS lab science requirement, whether they match our requirements or not--or even whether they match each other or not! 
  • The same flexibility applies to transfer courses within Social Sciences, Arts and Humanities, Communication and Literature, and Mathematics.
  • If you are bringing in only one 4-credit lab science, you can combine that course with any other 4-credit lab science course from the GS listing in the catalog.
  • ONE IMPORTANT EXCEPTION for students bringing a single 4-credit course in Biology:  take any other 4-credit lab science course from our General Studies listing, EXCEPT Biology. Because our biology curriculum is sequenced differently from many other institutions' biology curricula, you must complete your GS Lab Science sequence with a CHEM or GSCI or PHYS course from the GS listing in the catalog.
  • Though this agreement was designed to apply to students moving between institutions within West Virginia, we apply this flexibility to all of our transfer students, regardless of where they are transferring from.

The chair of the department offering your program may be able to give you some preliminary and unofficial information too. You can see department names and send e-mail to chairs HERE.


Shepherd University | Office of the Registrar | P.O. Box 5000 | Shepherdstown, WV | 25443-5000
304-876-5463 | 800-344-5231 | FAX 304-876-5136 |