While at Shepherd University, IELP students will be able to take advantage of a wide array of programs and services. We are highlighting several below:
- Tutoring: In addition to the tutoring available within the Intensive English Language Program and its courses, students will also have access to tutors through the university’s Academic Support Center.
- Book Club: IELP students will be able to participate in a weekly book club that will review and study current works of fiction and non-fiction. These are specially selected to not only support the courses, but to also provide valuable insights into American culture.
- Sport Facilities and Events: IELP students will have integrated access to university facilities and events, to include the Wellness Center, music and theater productions by the Department of Music and special events open to all students.
- Student Organizations: There are over 60 registered clubs and organizations for students, each reflecting special interests, hobbies, or activities. Joining and participating is a great way to meet new friends.
- Local Community festivals and events: Shepherdstown has been frequently recognized for its dynamic community life. Students are welcome to take advantage of the many local festivals, events, tours, restaurants, and holiday programming that occur throughout the year.
IELP students will have additional excursions that will be a mix of culture, learning, and fun. These vary with the seasons and with student interest.During the fall and spring semesters, Shepherd students have the opportunity to visit Baltimore, Washington DC, New York, Philadelphia, and other major points of interest in the region. These trips are available to all students, so going on them is a great way to meet other students and make new friends. There are also trips to special outdoor recreation areas to enjoy kayaking, canoeing, hiking, skiing, climbing, running, bicycling (touring and mountain), and many other sports. West Virginia and the surrounding region is well-known for its mountains, rivers, and natural beauty.