Main Menu

Frequently Asked Questions

Below is a compilation of FAQs about Safety and Parking. If you don’t see an answer to your question, feel free to call the Shepherd University Police Department 304-876-5374, M-F 730-530.


Who do I call if I have an emergency?
If you have an emergency call 911

Who do I call if it’s not an emergency but I need help or have a question for the police?
If you need help (i.e., you’ve locked your keys in your car, notice something suspicious, wish to report a stolen item, etc.) or have a question for the police call 304-876-5374 Monday-Friday 730 a.m.-530p.m. or x5202 (on campus) or 304-876-5202 (off campus) and an officer will assist you.

What are ways that I can stay safe on campus?

Shepherd University Interpersonal Violence Resource Center


All vehicles are required to have and properly display a current parking decal in order to park on the Shepherd University campus.

How much is a parking permit?
Residential and Commuter student parking decals are $70. Parking decals are valid for one academic year (fall and spring semester). On and after January 1, parking decals can be purchased for the remainder of the academic year for $35.

How do I purchase a parking permit?
There are two ways to purchase a parking permit : in person or via USPS prior to August 15 of the academic year. At this time we do not process permit purchases over the phone or online.

In Person: Bring with you a completed application (or complete one in the office), valid driver’s license, current vehicle registration for the car on campus, and payment for $70 to the Shepherd University Police Department, Moler Hall 102. We accept cash, credit (most cards), check or money order addressed to Shepherd University, and Rambler.

USPS: (until August 15) Include a completed application, photocopies of valid driver’s license and vehicle registration, check or money order addressed to Shepherd University, and a business size, self-addressed, stamped envelope and mail to:

Shepherd University
Police Department
P.O. Box 5000
Shepherdstown, WV 25443

*Incomplete application packets will not be processed.

Can I register my vehicle with a temporary registration?

Yes! A valid temporary registration (whether from the dealer or the DMV) may be used to register your vehicle.  If a vehicle is registered with dealer tags, please stop by the police department once permanent registration is acquired so that your vehicle information may be updated.

Do I need to purchase a parking decal for my motorcycle?

Motorcycles are required to have a parking decal for the current academic year in order to park on campus. Decals are $70 ($35 after January 1) and need to be affixed to the front windshield or front fork.

What if need a replacement decal?

If something happens to a decal (i.e., weather destroyed) or you will be driving a new vehicle (i.e. switched vehicles, other vehicle totaled), a replacement decal may be purchased for $2. Please scrape the decal from the vehicle (it should come off in pieces), bring it and the registration to your new vehicle to the police department.    Bring these materials to the police department, complete a new permit application, turn in your old decal, and affix the new decal to the new car.  If the old decal is not brought in, the new decal will cost $70 ($35 after January 1).*

If you are driving a non-registered vehicle for a TEMPORARY period of time (i.e., the registered vehicle is in the shop), please come in with the registration of the non-registered vehicle, your driver’s license, and Rambler to receive a temporary (one week) pass. Three temporary one week pass are issued to University registered vehicles per semester.

*If your decal is lost or stolen, you will be required to file a police report and sign an affidavit attesting to the circumstances.

What if I am visiting campus or have someone visiting me on campus and they need to park their car?
If you are visiting for the day or, as a residential student, someone is coming to visit you for a period of time, please bring the visitor’s driver’s license and vehicle registration to the Police Department to receive a temporary visitor parking pass. Visitor parking is in H-Lot.

Students who know ahead of time that a visitor is coming to campus may bring a copy of the visitor’s registration and driver’s license to the University Police Department Parking Services office to receive a temporary pass for the visitor to park in H-Lot. Acceptable forms of paperwork include a picture (text or email) or photocopy – written text of information will not be accepted.

Faculty and staff members, please complete and submit a Faculty/Staff Visitor Temporary Parking Pass Request Form.

If I feel I’ve received a parking ticket in error, how do I appeal?
If you feel that a parking ticket was issued in error, bring the parking ticket in question and any evidence to be considered to the Police Department. There you will fill out an appeal form, which will be submitted to the officers for review. You will be contacted with the decision once it has been made. Appeals will only be considered when it is believed that the ticket was issued in error. A lost ticket, forgetfulness, parking illegally for a short time, or failure to note signage is not grounds for appeal.

*Please email any pictures or documents that may support your appeal to with the violation number as the subject.

Do you ticket on the weekends?
Lot restrictions are not enforced on Saturday and Sunday; however universal parking regulations are enforced 24/7.  See Parking, Vehicle & Grounds Regulations for complete information.

Where do I pay my parking tickets?
Pay university parking tickets at the Police Department office, located in Moler Hall 102, within the first 10 days. We are open Monday through Friday from 730 a.m.-530p.m. Please bring your Rambler or ID, ticket, and payment with you.

Payment may also be paid via mail with check or money order (include the ticket number, name (if different than payer of the ticket), and SID (if applicable) of the ticket recipient in the memo).

Credit card payments may be processed over the phone during regular business hours.  Please have the ticket accessible for reference.

After 10 days, if you are a Shepherd University student, tickets are transferred to your student account and need to be paid at the Business Office, Ikenberry Hall.

Where can I park?
There are designated areas on campus to park depending on your parking decal. Please view the Shepherd University Parking Map to find out where you are able to park your vehicle.

Do I need a decal to park my bicycle on campus?
Shepherd University Police Department strongly recommends registering your bicycle. The decal is free, you just need to fill out an application and turn it in to the Police Department. By registering, if anything were to happen to your bicycle it would be easier to identify the property.