What type of student am I?
- First-Year Student: an individual who has not completed any coursework at an institution of higher education, or individuals who earned college credits before graduating from high school, or less than 24 college level credits earned.
- Transfer: a student who has completed coursework and received credit from an institution of higher education other than Shepherd University
- Readmit: a student who has completed coursework and received credit from Shepherd University and now wishes to re-enroll at Shepherd.
- Transfer/Readmit: a student who has completed coursework and received credit at Shepherd, attended another college/university after Shepherd, and is now returning to Shepherd.
Participation in Orientation Step 1: Advisement & Registration allows you to:
- Become familiar with campus
- Learn more about your academic major and minor
- Meet your academic advisor, faculty, and administration
- Create your class schedule and register for classes
- Meet new and current students and learn from others’ experiences
- Student Login Instructions
Why am I required to stay overnight during Orientation Step 1: A&R?
This will be your first opportunity to spend the night on campus as an official Shepherd student! The Orientation Step 1 program runs late into the evening of day one and begins early on day two. Through this program, each student will experience a sample of the college experience.
Additionally, learning takes place both inside and outside of the classroom and Shepherd University is a residential campus. The philosophy of the institution is that students engaged in campus life through programs and activities, and those who reside in residence halls find it easier to be successful than those who simply come to campus to attend class. Orientation Step 1 may be the only time that a commuting student will be given the opportunity to stay overnight in a residence hall. Requests to be exempt from this requirement are rarely granted except in extreme cases. Written requests must be made prior to your scheduled session.
Who will I meet during Orientation Step 1: Advisement & Registration program?
- Faculty, students, administrators, staff, Residence Life, Academic Support Services, Academic Advising, TRiO, Financial Aid, IT Services, Student Center, Dining Services, Counseling Services, Health Center, Disability Support Services, Multicultural Student Affairs, Student Employment, Student Activities, Community Services, Service Learning, Shepherd University Bookstore, Shepherd University Police Department, Athletics, and more.
Should I bring my parent or family member to Orientation Step 1?
- Yes, parents and/or family members are invited and encouraged to attend Step 1 with their student.
- Reservations are requested for parent/family members. In order to process parent/family reservations, your student reservation must accompany your parent/family reservation, or your student must already be registered for A&R.
- A $25 charge for each family member who attends A&R with their student can be paid at OS1: A&R check-in with check or cash.
How much will it cost to attend Orientation?
- All first-year, transfer, and readmitted students will be billed a Student Services Fee of $160 to cover the expenses of Orientation Step I: A&R and Orientation Step II: New Student Welcome. This charge will be placed on the student’s billing statement.
- There will be a $25 charge for each family member who attends, payable by cash or check. This fee includes all Family Orientation materials, sessions, etc. and may be paid during check-in at Orientation Step I: A&R
What does the $160 Student Services Fee cover?
- All first-year, transfer, and readmitted students will receive materials, meet with an academic advisor, register for classes, and participate in information sessions to assist you in a smooth transition to Shepherd University. Specific information for each student will be prepared prior to your arrival and students will leave campus with helpful materials, a class schedule, and new connections. This fee also covers Step 2.
Reminder: Have you paid your enrollment deposit?
- All students are required to submit a $100 enrollment deposit to the Office of Admissions. Please be aware that you will not be permitted to register for classes unless the enrollment deposit is paid.
- If you have not already paid the enrollment deposit please do so immediately.
Please note that the enrollment deposit is separate from the Student Services Fee.
Because I will attend Orientation Step 1: A&R, do I also have to attend Orientation Step 2: New Student Welcome in August?
- Yes. Step 1 and Step 2 are two separate programs. Each provides different information and services to our students. All students new to Shepherd are required to attend both programs.