Your computer account is created shortly after you register for classes.
Your username and password can then be retrieved through the RAIL system. This is the system you used to register for classes. Step-by-step instructions for this process follow.
Here is what you need to do to get your username and initial password, and to change your password.
- Click on the RAIL link here.
- Click on the Login to RAIL link with the wording in black and the yellow background on the RAIL page.
- Enter your SID (Shepherd ID) and your PIN on the User Login screen.
- Click on Personal Information on the Welcome screen.
- Click on Password Management at the bottom of the page.
- Click on Retrieve Original Password. You will need to read and accept the Acceptable Use Policy. Your Username and Password will then be displayed.
Note: Your original password is what you must use to access your email account the first time.
- Click on Back to Password Management Menu in the upper right corner.
- Click on Change current password.
- Enter your new Password twice (See notes below before continue these instructions) and click on Change Password. A confirmation page will state your password has been changed.
- To protect your privacy, click on EXIT in the upper right corner and close your browser when you have finished viewing.
Notes about changing your password.
This will not change your password for your email. It must be changed in the email site.
Rules for your new password:
6 to 8 characters long
Can contain: upper case and/or lower case letters; numbers
Cannot contain: special characters such as !, &, $, ^, etc. because some of our systems do not handle them correctly.
Your username and password allow you to access:
- Campus owned computers
- Internet access in residence halls
- Wireless network
- Personal network disk space
- Shared network disk space
- Email (NOTE: You must use the inital password the first time.)
- Learning Management System – Sakai
For more information, visit ID, PIN, Username and Password FAQ’s.