ISSUED: 22 September 2015
MEDIA CONTACT: Valerie Owens
MARTINSBURG, WV — Shepherd University’s Martinsburg Center, 261 Aikens Center, will host a job fair and open house on Wednesday, October 7, from noon-5 p.m. so community members can learn about career opportunities in the area and what the center offers in education and professional development. The event is free and open to the public.
Businesses and organizations that will participate in the job fair include Macy’s, Hollywood Casino, Potomac Edison, Job Corps, University Healthcare, FedEx, SMX staffing, First Data, Waffle House, Board of Child Care, Work Force West Virginia, and MVB Bank. Dave Ranck, independent recruiter/consultant, will also be there representing Choice Staffing Inc., Bankers Life & Casualty, and additional opportunities.
The open house will provide prospective students an opportunity to discuss degree options with program directors, learn more about financial aid and scholarships, and fill out applications.
Radka Ferancova, a career advisor at Shepherd’s Center for Teaching and Learning Advising Assistance Center, provides several tips for career fair attendees:
- Dress professionally as you would for a job interview and make a positive first impression.
- Have several copies of your updated, error-free résumé available for distribution. Keep them in a portfolio case along with a pen and questions for employers.
- Know who you are and have a focused direction.
- Make sure to collect promotional and contact information from the representative if you are interested in pursuing involvement with a specific organization.
- Never discuss salary at this stage.
- Follow-up after the fair and write thank-you letters.
- Reflect on what you experienced and learned at the fair.
For more information about the job fair and open house, contact the Martinsburg Center at 304-263-3303, or visit the web at www.MartinsburgCenter.info.
— 30 —