Music at Shepherd University is the home for your future.
- Shepherd music is undergraduate-focused, with no graduate performing program. You perform, you play, you sing, you compose, and you conduct. YOU get the experience--learning in action.
- We offer three degrees: a Bachelor of Music (B. M.) in Performance, a Bachelor of Music Education (B.M.E.), and a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) in Music with concentrations in Composition, Music Theater, and Piano Pedagogy.
- Many Shepherd music graduates have gone on to prestigious graduate schools of music that include Peabody, Northwestern, Ithaca, Eastman, Arizona State, and Manhattan School of Music. Music graduates have starred on Broadway and world tours, become recording artists, and have joined nationally known ensembles including the United States Navy Band and The Sea Chanters.
- The Music Education program has an astounding 100% placement rate since its inception in 1950, and music education students learn to conduct by directing our ensembles in real concerts, not lab ensembles in student recitals. Shepherd music grads hold esteemed teaching positions in institutions of learning all over the country, including elementary, secondary, and post-secondary schools.
- We offer challenging academic classes taught by top-notch, full-time faculty members as well as a wide variety of ensemble experiences for you to develop your professional skills, including:
- Four choral ensembles for men, women, and chamber music, as well as Masterworks--a large ensemble that includes singing with a full orchestra twice yearly
- A wind ensemble, wind symphony, two jazz ensembles, a student orchestra, a guitar ensemble, a chamber music ensemble, the Two Rivers Chamber Orchestra--a resident professional orchestra--and the Ram Band--the best small-school marching band in the country
- An opera or musical workshop every fall and a fully-staged musical or opera production every spring
- We engage in international travel every other year. The Jazz Ensemble, Wind Ensemble, and Concert and Chamber Choirs have performed throughout the United States and Europe, including Germany, Austria, the Czech Republic, England, Ireland, Switzerland, Italy, France, and Carnegie Hall in New York City.
- We are a leader in the use of modern technology, a state-of-the-art computer lab, a massive MP3 library, a digital recording studio, and digital practice rooms that allow you to simulate various performance environments.
- Our tuition costs half of what comparable private universities and conservatories charge for out-of-state students--less than 20% for in-state students.
Band Directors - Click here for Honor Band Recommendation forms.
Click here for a flyer about our next Visitation Day.