Upcoming Choral Concerts
A New Season for 2015-16! Masterworks Chorale will be performing Bernstein's Chichester Psalms, John Rutter's Gloria and Paul Winter's jazzy Earth Mass in the Fall of 2015. And in the Spring we'll be singing Verdi's Requiem! Come join us for these glorious works. First rehearsal is Monday, August 24 in the Frank Center at 7:30 PM. You can sign up for an audition and purchase music at the first rehearsal.
Masterworks Chorale is an ensemble of 130 singers at Shepherd University, under the direction of Dr. Erik Reid Jones. The choir sings with full orchestra every semester at the Frank Center for Performing Arts and sometimes at St. James Catholic Church in Charles Town, WV.
This ensemble is an outstanding "town-and-gown" choir, made up of students and community members, and performing mostly large-scale pieces with full orchestra. Everyone are expected to have their notes learned and their music well-prepared in advance of every rehearsal.
Auditions take place at the beginning of every semester, during the first week of classes. Email Dr. Jones if you are interested in auditioning. The ensemble rehearses Mondays from 7:30 - 9:30.
Here are the works performed with orchestra since the Spring of 2006.
- Spring 2016: Verdi Requiem
- Fall 2015: Rutter Gloria, Bernstein Chichester Psalms, Paul Winter Earth Mass
- Spring 2015: Stravinsky Symphony of Psalms
- Fall 2014: Handel Messiah
- Spring 2014: Bach Mass in B Minor
- Fall 2013: Handel Coronation Anthems and Haydn Lord Nelson Mass
- Spring 2013: Mozart Mass in C Minor
- Fall 2012: Schubert Mass No. 2 in G Major and Faure Requiem
- Spring 2012: Beethoven Symphony No. 9 and Rossini Stabat Mater
- Fall 2011: Sibelius Finlandia, Brahms Alto Rhapsody and Beethoven Mass in C
- Spring 2011: Tarik O'Regan Triptych and Haydn The Creation
- Fall 2010: Handel Messiah
- Spring 2010: Brahms Ein deutsches Requiem
- Fall 2009: Mozart Requiem (Levin completion)
- Spring 2009: Orff Carmina Burana
- Spring 2008: Bach St. John Passion
- Spring 2007: Verdi Requiem
- Spring 2006: Mendelssohn Elijah