Shepherd University and Montgomery College (MC) have collaborated to offer you the Transfer Opportunity Program at Shepherd (T.O.P.S.) which guarantees your admission to Shepherd upon meeting eligibility requirements and may provide a tuition discount upon transfer.
What Does This Mean For You, The MC Student?
- You can benefit from a world-class education at two of the lowest-cost educational institutions in our region.
- You can continue your education close to home, taking advantage of on-campus living, study abroad, athletic, and leadership programs.
- You will receive academic advising to assist you in transferring your coursework to Shepherd and ensuring a timely graduation.
- You will receive a 25% or 35% tuition discount (approximately $4,157 or $5,820 annually) when you transfer to Shepherd if you meet the T.O.P.S. requirements (see below):
What Are the Requirements?
- You have completed and submitted the T.O.P.S. application prior to enrolling at Shepherd indicating your intended start date. The application can be found at the bottom of this page, at MC’s Transfer Office, or at Shepherd’s Office of Admissions. While Shepherd offers rolling application reviews, students are strongly encouraged to apply a semester prior to their intended start date.
- You have completed, or will complete prior to transfer, an Associate of Arts, Associate of Science, Associate of Applied Science, Associate of Arts in Teaching, or Associate of Fine Arts degree from MC.
- You have achieved at least a 2.8 cumulative GPA from MC and all college work, making you eligible for consideration for a 25% discount off of Shepherd’s out-of-state tuition rate. Students who graduate with honors from MC with at least a 3.4 GPA will be eligible for a 35% discount off of Shepherd’s out-of-state tuition rate.
- Your official, final transcript must be received at Shepherd by September 15 for the fall semester and February 15 for the spring semester. Your discount will be awarded once your official, final MC transcript indicating your graduation date is received by the Office of Admissions.
- You transfer directly from MC to Shepherd and enroll at Shepherd at full-time status (12 credits or more) and as a non-West Virginia resident.
What Other Opportunities Will You Have?
- In addition to this tuition discount, students can apply for merit and need-based financial aid and scholarships. Students with a 3.5 GPA can apply for Shepherd’s Scholars Program, with benefits that may include honors housing and honors scholarships. For more information, go to www.shepherd.edu/honors.
- Shepherd offers on-campus housing options in traditional, suite-style, and apartment-style residence halls. Students are guaranteed housing if they apply by July 1. Students can take advantage of our new state-of-the-art Wellness Center, our award-winning Dining Hall, and free laundry facilities, among other on-campus benefits. Also, all students are permitted vehicles on campus.
What Else Should You Know?
- Acceptance for T.O.P.S. occurs only for the spring and fall semesters.
- The discount is available for up to four consecutive semesters after completion of an associate’s degree.
- To maintain this discount while enrolled at Shepherd, you must begin each fall and spring semester at full-time status (12 credits or more), you must earn at least 24 credit hours by the end of each spring semester, excluding summer, and you must enroll continuously each semester, excluding summer. Students who begin this program in the spring semester need to earn at least 12 credit hours at the end of the spring semester to maintain the discount.
- To maintain the 25% discount while enrolled at Shepherd, you must maintain a minimum Shepherd University GPA of 2.8. To maintain the 35% discount while enrolled at Shepherd, you must maintain a minimum Shepherd University GPA of 3.0.
- Admission in this program applies only to general admission to the University and does not guarantee admission to a specific major or academic program. Admission to certain majors and academic programs may require additional qualifications, and guidelines can be found in the academic catalog (catalog.shepherd.edu).
Shepherd University Transfer Policy
Students who transfer from a regionally accredited junior or community college are allowed a maximum of 72 semester hours toward the 120 credit hour minimum for graduation from Shepherd University. In compliance with the West Virginia Higher Education Policy Commission, students who have completed more than 72 hours of coursework may select the courses they wish to have evaluated as part of their semester hours of credit counted toward graduation. The total number of credit hours earned will be calculated in the student’s overall grade point average.
All grades and credits transferred to Shepherd University are posted on the student’s permanent record exactly as received from all other colleges and/or universities with the following provisions: 1) plus and minus signs will be ignored, 2) D and F grades can be replaced only if earned within the first 60 hours attempted, and 3) for admission purposes, all grades on the student’s transcript(s) will be used in computing the grade point average.
If you would like to speak to an MC academic advisor or Shepherd University admissions counselor regarding this program please contact:
Takoma Park/Silver Spring
Room 233, ST Building
7600 Takoma Avenue
Takoma Park, MD 20912
Room 215, CB Building
51 Mannakee Street
Rockville, MD 20850
240-567-5063 or 240-567-4104
Room 250, SA Building
20200 Observation Drive
Germantown, MD 20876
Please return completed applications to:
Shepherd University Office of Admissions, PO BOX 5000, Shepherdstown WV 25443