What is the Martinsburg Center?
Shepherd University opened a campus in Martinsburg in June of 2013. Although at a separate location, the building serves students in the same capacity as much as can be duplicated in Shepherdstown. The Martinsburg Center will effectively serve the area’s non-traditional students and will deliver Shepherd University’s outstanding academic instruction to adult’s seeking degree completion in the region while offering a convenient location, flexible hours, and affordable price.
Where is the Martinsburg Center located?
I-81, Exit 16E Edwin Miller Boulevard
261 Aikens Center
Martinsburg, WV 25404
All visitors should report to room 109 for assistance.
When can I speak with an advisor about the programs being offered or the program I am interested in?
Students will be able to schedule one-on-one appointments at the Center with representatives by contacting the center at 304-263-3303.
Walk-ins are welcome Monday through Thursday; 9 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. Friday; 9 a.m. – 3:45 p.m.
What programs does the Martinsburg Center offer?
- Master of Business Administration
- Regents Bachelor of Arts
- Multi-Categorical Special Education Endorsement
When is the application deadline?
After all application materials and credentials have been received, the Office of Admissions will notify the applicants of its decisions on a rolling admissions basis as long as openings remain in the classes.
To complete an online application, please click HERE.
What are the tuition and fees associated with the Martinsburg Center?
To view the breakdown of tuition and fees for the 2018-19 academic year, click here.
How do I apply if I am an International Student?
- Complete the application for admission.
- Send a nonrefundable application fee of $45.
- Have the results of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) sent from the Educational Testing Service. A minimum score of 550 on the paper-based test, 213 on the computer-based test, or 79 on the internet-based test is required for admission. The International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is accepted with a score of 7, or the SAT with a minimum score of 910 with a score of 450 on the verbal section.
- Have original or certified copies of all high school transcripts sent in original language with English translation. Unofficial photocopies are not acceptable.
- Submit a General Certificate of Secondary Education or General Certificate of Education “O” level in English language.
- Send official transcripts from each college/university previously attended; all college/university transcripts from foreign countries, including English-language transcripts, must be accompanied by an international academic credential evaluation.
- Send a notarized letter indicating a guarantee of financial support and an official bank statement in U.S. dollars.
How do I pay for classes?
Students can pay for their classes by credit card through their online RAIL account or by contacting the Business Office at 304-876-5284. The Center does not have the capability to accept payments directly. Trained staff are available to assist with the payment process and can be reached at 304-263-3303. Several payment plans are available to students. Please click here for more information.
How do I register for classes (online, in person, etc)?
As part of this convenient support system, students will be able to access all enrollment processes through a streamlined one-stop service model that includes online communication with an admissions counselor, submitting an admission application, filing Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) forms, registering for classes, and paying tuition bills. You can look up the list of classes being offered at Shepherd University and the Martinsburg Center here.
Will classes be offered on weekends and evenings?
Center operating hours are convenient for the working adult.
Monday through Thursday; 9 a.m. – 10 p.m. when classes are in session. If classes finish before 10 p.m., the building may close early.
Classes are tailored to meet the various needs of the adult learner. These may include accelerated formats, traditional models, and classes offered during convenient times. Classes are taught via in-seat, online, and hybrid delivery methods.
*Special Saturday hours will be available in the Fall 2017 Semester, Aug. 28th-Dec. 8th from 9am-11:45am. Please check the calendar for Holiday Closings.
What are hybrid courses?
A hybrid learning model is a continuum that blends online learning with face-to-face classroom experience.
Will my courses transfer? If so, how and when will I know how this will happen?
The Office of the Registrar will assist admissions counselors with the evaluation of transfer credits. You must have an official transcript sent to Shepherd by your previous school. No credits will be evaluated or posted based on an unofficial transcript of any kind. The Office of Admissions and the Office of the Registrar work together with the academic coordinators to evaluate your credits in an expeditious manner, and will make every effort to have an evaluation ready by the time of registration.
A major must be declared as different majors impose special restrictions. If you change majors, the way your transfer credits apply to your new degree program may also change!
Where do I purchase books?
Course materials can be purchased using the Shepherd University Bookstore’s website (click here to access). SUMC has its own website, apart from the general Shepherd University Bookstore site. Please use the link provided when ordering. Textbooks are available to purchase new or used and many titles are available for rental. The Bookstore will ship orders directly to students or arrangements can be made to pick up orders at the Shepherd University Bookstore, located in Shepherdstown on the ground floor of the Student Center.
How do I pay for my books?
You can choose to pay out of pocket or use your financial aid refund to purchase textbooks through the Shepherd University Bookstore. If you are paying out of pocket, you will follow the steps to order books and choose the method of payment you would like to use (credit or pay at pick-up). If you are using your refund to purchase books, you will use the debit card from Higher One or choose Electronic Book Credits (EBCs) to pay. More information on the Bank Mobile Vibe Debit Card can be found here.
Will there be computer access at the Martinsburg Center?
Yes, there will be laptops available for check-out. Three (3) casual use laptops will be available at the front desk for students to check their email, browse the web, etc. The Martinsburg Center also has a mobile computer lab available for faculty, staff, and students for academic use. In order to keep the laptops clean and in working condition, follow these simple guidelines:
- Laptops may not to be taken off campus or left unattended at any time. If theft occurs, please report it to an SUMC staff member immediately.
- Laptop check-out hours are as follows: Monday through Thursday; 9 a.m. – 8 p.m., Friday; 9 a.m. – 3 p.m.
- Maximum checkout time is two (2) hour for casual use and four (4) hours for academic use. One renewal is allowed, given that no one is waiting. Laptops must be returned to the IT office (118) or the front desk by the times listed above.
- Only Shepherd University faculty and currently enrolled students who have a Rambler Card may check out laptops.
- One laptop will be checked out per student at a time. Faculty members may check out as many needed for their class.
- All data should be saved to a jump drive or other storage device, otherwise it will be lost.
- Any damage or malfunctions should be reported to the IT department (118) or to the front desk. Any damage or loss while the laptop is checked out is the responsibility of the student.
- Replacement cost of a lost or damaged laptop is the current price of the same or similar model.
How do Martinsburg Center students gain access to Scarborough Library services?
Martinsburg Center students at both the undergraduate and graduate levels may access Scarborough Library services through its webpages: http://www.shepherd.edu/libweb/ or from the Scarborough Library link off the Martinsburg Center home page.
The Scarborough Library is open during the regular semester Monday – Thursday 8 a.m.-11 p.m.; Friday 8 a.m.-5 p.m.; Saturday 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. and Sunday noon – 11 p.m. There is also a library 24-hour study room available with Rambler Card access.
Students are able to access the MAX, the online catalog, electronic resources, and full text journals via the library’s proxy server. Students should enter their Rambler ID number and password for access. Instant messaging research assistance “ASK US” and other library services such as interlibrary loan and Fetch (for students requesting book delivery to the Martinsburg Center) are available via the Scarborough Library website http://www.shepherd.edu/libweb/ or from the Martinsburg Center Student Research Guide http://libguides.shepherd.edu/MartinsburgCenter.
The Martinsburg Center students who wish to check out a Scarborough Library book may:
- Use Fetch [http://www.shepherd.edu/library/library-fetch/] under the “Library Services” drop-down menu. Students should select “Martinsburg Center” if they wished to have their materials checked out to them and delivered to the Martinsburg Center.
- There will be a drop-off and return service on an as needed basis for library materials to the Martinsburg Center. Students will pick up library books in Room 110 of the Martinsburg Center. Books to be returned to the Scarborough Library on the Shepherdstown campus should be dropped off in Room 110. Books to be returned to Shepherdstown should be brought to the front desk by 7 p.m. Monday through Thursday and by 4 p.m. on Friday.
Students may also pick up and return books at the Scarborough Library located on the Shepherdstown campus.
Interlibrary loan services [http://www.shepherd.edu/library/library-interlibrary-loan/] may be used by all Shepherd University students; however, for items that are not delivered electronically in PDF format, such as books or other items, students may request the item be delivered to the Martinsburg Center. Please select “Martinsburg Center” from the ILL online form drop down menu when asked Where do you want to pick up your article(s)? Please note: the drop-off and return service will be on an as needed basis.
Does the Martinsburg Center offer room rentals?
Yes, for more information, contact the Martinsburg Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or Jim Klein at email@example.com. Only pre-approved visitors may use instructional space or conference rooms. Visitors are restricted to room 109 unless other arrangements have been made with the Center Director.
Are room rentals just for Faculty/Students?
No. The Martinsburg Center is a multi-functional learning facility. Companies/Businesses/Organizations may use space for business training and professional development …at a competitive rate often less than other facilities. For more information, contact the Martinsburg Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or Jim Klein at email@example.com.
What is the protocol for inclement weather?
Shepherd University Martinsburg Center will follow any cancellations or delays that Shepherd University in Shepherdstown implements. Shepherd University’s Cancellation Policy can be found here. There is a text/email alert system, known as RAVE, that alerts students of any cancellations or delays. Students may register for RAVE by clicking here.
Am I able to bring food and drinks into the facility?
The Food and Drink Policy is in line with that of Shepherd University’s Scarborough Library. Please help us keep the center clean and orderly by following these simple guidelines:
- Snacks may be eaten. We consider snacks to be chips, pretzels, cookies, and similar foods. Items like pizza, tacos, salads, fruit, and sandwiches are NOT snack foods.
- Foods other than snacks must be eaten in the student lounge common areas on the first floor.
- Food delivery to the center is prohibited. Center special events must be coordinated through Jim Klein, center director; or Chelsea Barker, program assistant.
- Only NON-ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES are permitted in the center.
- Please use sturdy, spill-proof beverage containers with covers to minimize damage to center materials and facilities.
Is smoking allowed at the Martinsburg Center?
Please refer to the Student Code of Conduct located in the Student Handbook. Help us keep the center clean and orderly by following these simple guidelines:
- Shepherd University buildings are smoke- and tobacco-free environments.
- Smoking tobacco within 25 feet of a building is prohibited.
- Use of any other tobacco product within 25 feet away of any building is prohibited.
- Cigarette ashes and remains should be placed in designated receptacles.
Are there services available for those with disabilities?
Disability Support Services at Shepherd University believes that every student should succeed, and works closely with students to meet their needs. Students requesting any disability related accommodation should contact the Disability Support Services office at 304-876-5214. This includes students with learning disabilities needing classroom accommodations, students requesting specific housing accommodations for health-related reasons, and all other disability accommodations. Accommodations need to be documented and provided to instructors. Please see http://www.shepherd.edu/disability for more information.
I need assistance with my classes, what services are available to me?
Please visit our Academic Support Services information sheet to view what services are provided to Shepherd University Martinsburg Center students. If you need assistance writing in APA format, click here.
What if I am interested in Education Professional Development or non-credit courses?
Shepherd University offers Professional Development in Education (EDPD), Continuing Education, Lifelong Learning, and Graduate Studies.
*All rules written in the Shepherd University Student Code of Conduct must be followed at all times. Not doing so could result in, but not limited to, expulsion from Shepherd University.
To learn more about the Shepherd University Martinsburg Center, please complete an inquiry form at: http://www.shepherd.edu/martinsburg-center/martinsburg-inquiry.