Reynolds Hall, which adjoins McMurran Hall, was constructed in 1889 by the citizens of Shepherdstown for the use of the university and the community. The citizens of Shepherdstown came together through a fundraising campaign to obtain the funds to construct Reynolds Hall.
The community of Shepherdstown used Reynolds Hall as its town hall from about 1897 to the mid 1910s. Reynolds Hall was used by Shepherd University for commencement exercises, indoor games, receptions, musicals, lectures and chapel services until the late 1930s when it was used for plays, assembly programs and as a lecture hall. In 1949 Reynolds Hall underwent a significant renovation.
The renovation was so extensive that no features of the original auditorium exist today. The stage was enlarged and the building's entrance was reconstructed. A movie projection booth was added to the balcony and the floor was sloped towards the stage. Recess lighting was installed in the ceiling and theater lighting was added to the walls. After the renovations, Reynolds Hall was still used for plays, assembly programs and as a lecture hall but was also used for movies. Today, Reynolds Hall is used for numerous campus and community cultural events such as the Reynolds Hall Recital Series and the Performing Arts Series at Shepherd (PASS).
Reynolds Hall was known as the "Shepherd College Hall" until 1929 when the College administration officially named the building "Reynolds Hall" in honor of Mrs. Kate Reynolds, a prominent Shepherdstown citizen who led the fundraising campaign to have Reynolds Hall constructed.