Rumsey Hall, known today as the Entler Hotel, was purchased by the state of West Virginia on August 1, 1921 to be used as the first men's dormitory for Shepherd University. Rumsey Hall was known as the "Men's Dormitory" until 1927 when it was named in honor of James Rumsey, known for exhibiting a steamboat on the Potomac River in 1786 and 1787.
In 1953 with the construction of a new men's dormitory, Boteler Hall, Shepherd University converted Rumsey Hall into apartments for faculty housing. Rumsey Hall remained faculty housing until the late 1960s.
In 1978 the town of Shepherdstown purchased Rumsey Hall from the state of West Virginia and re-named it Entler Hotel, the name by which the building was known as from the mid nineteenth century until the early twentieth century.
To learn more about the Entler Hotel's long history go to the Entler Hotel web page on the Historic Shepherdstown & Museum website or visit the Historic Shepherdstown Museum located in the Entler Hotel.