In September 1995 Mary Tyler Moore purchased the Conrad Shindler House and donated it to the Shepherd University Foundation to be used by the Shepherd University Center for the Study of the Civil War.
Constructed sometime around 1795, this two-and-half story Georgian style house was owned by Conrad Shindler and his family from 1815 to 1869. Conrad Shindler, a local coppersmith and Mary Tyler Moore's great, great, great grandfather, used the house as his residency as well as using the basement to make and sell is copperware.
During the Battle of Antietam the Conrad Shindler House, like many of the houses and buildings in Shepherdstown, received wounded soldiers. In 1869, the house was sold to the Christ Reformed Church and was used as the church parsonage before being rented out to tenants.
The Shepherd University's Center for the Study of the Civil War moved into the Conrad Shindler House in April 1996 and was renamed the George Tyler Moore Center for the Study of the Civil War in honor of Mary Tyler Moore's father, George Tyler Moore.