Laptops for Students
Shepherd University students are permitted to check out laptops for use within the library. Please refer to the Guide for Operation of Student Checkout Laptops if information is needed on how to use the laptop.
- Library Laptops are available to Shepherd University students for 4 hour periods within the Library only. No overnight checkout.
- Students will need a valid Rambler card to check out a laptop. There will be no exceptions made to this policy.
- One renewal is permitted if no one is waiting to use a computer.
- Students will need to sign the Laptop Registration and Fiscal Liability Form when checking out a laptop.
- Students are responsible for the laptop while it is checked out in their name. DO NOT LEAVE THE LAPTOP UNATTENDED.
- Before logging onto the laptop, you MUST plug the laptop into the Ethernet wall plug to connect to the Shepherd Internet.
- After logging onto the laptop using your Shepherd E-mail username and password, you may unplug the laptop from the Ethernet plug.
- Laptops must be returned half-an-hour before closing.
- Laptops should be shut down before being returned to the Public Services desk and each will be checked to ensure they are operating properly and all items checked out have been returned.
- Students will be liable for the laptop until the laptop is checked back in.
Fines and Liabilities:
- A fine will be assessed in the amount of $1.00 per hour.
- If a laptop is not returned, the student will be charged the replacement cost (current price of the same or similar model) of the laptop.
- If a laptop is damaged while in the student's possession, the student will be responsible for the cost of repairs not to exceed the replacement cost (current price of the same or similar model) of the laptop.
Printing and Saving:
- Students cannot install software on the laptop.
- Students can print their work to the Pharos print station (two black-and-white laser printers or one color printer) located in Collaborative Lab, as well as a black-and-white printer on the third floor.
- The cost of printing is $.15 per page for black-and-white and $.25 per page for color. Students must have a Rambler card in order to print.
- Students can also save material to an external device, which the student provides, or to the network. It is a good idea to save to to this external device frequently to avoid losing any work, and be sure to SAVE if the PC starts to beep.
- DO NOT save to the computer's hard drive. The hard drive of each computer will be wiped clean of all document files when rebooted or when power is lost.