Library Instruction Lab (Room 307) Use Policy
The increasing demand for information literacy classes necessitates that the Library Instruction Lab (Room 307) be available as much as possible for library faculty and staff to provide flexibility in scheduling and accommodating classes as well as other staff needs.
The purpose of the library instruction lab (room 307) is for teaching Shepherd University Library users how to benefit from the various electronic and print tools and services we offer. The library instruction lab is intended to provide library personnel with a teaching facility for student, faculty, staff, and community learning. It is not intended to accommodate semester-long (15-week) courses, nor is it available to be used as classrooms by faculty outside of the library (i.e., without course-related involvement by librarians or library staff).
NOTE: Typically, during the first six weeks of the fall and spring semesters, library and information literacy instruction is at its peak. During these times, access to the library instruction lab (Room 307) will be closely monitored and limited in order to accommodate the teaching demands of the library faculty and library staff.
Occasionally the library receives requests from non-library faculty or groups to reserve the room for training or other purposes. The following policy will be followed:
- If a request comes from a campus department, such as for Sakai training or Banner training, is a one-time request and not an ongoing commitment, we will do our best to accommodate the request provided there are no information literacy classes scheduled.
- If a request comes from a faculty member for use of the room for class presentations which may involve multiple class sections, is a one-time request and not an ongoing commitment, we will do our best to accommodate the request.
- Faculty members outside of the library who want to use the library instruction lab without course-related involvement by librarians or library staff will be limited to maximum of six (6) total reservations per semester. (Please note: this is NOT six (6) reservations per course.)
- The library instruction lab will not be reserved on an ongoing basis, such as for a class that meets once or twice a week. (Exception: classes taught by Library faculty or library staff.)
- The library instruction lab is intended for information literacy and library instruction and one-time supplemental classroom instruction.
- When the library instruction lab is not being used for information literacy instruction, the lab will be open for general computing for Shepherd University students.
- The library instruction lab will be shut down 15 minutes before the library closes. Work should be saved when the first library closing announcement takes place.
- Occasionally, the library instruction lab may be closed without prior warning due to necessary maintenance.
- Library is not responsible for items left unattended.
Reservations for one-time use:
Library faculty and library staff needing to reserve the library instruction lab (Room 307) should contact Theresa Smith.
Campus departments and faculty who wish to reserve the library instruction lab (Room 307) for a one-time request that is not an ongoing commitment should contact Theresa Smith (firstname.lastname@example.org) extension: 5217 to see if requested date/time is available.
Note: this policy ensures that we are consistent and fair to all requestors. If we did not maintain this policy, the Library Instruction Lab (Room 307) would not be available to faculty who wish to avail themselves of library faculty delivered instruction. Of course, during the summer and exam periods, when library instruction is not rendered or rendered infrequently, the rules will be more relaxed.
This policy is subject to change.