Shepherd University Logo Shepherd University Campus

White Gymnasium Title

White Gymnasium

White Gymnasium,
looking southeast
ca 1925

White Gymnasium was constructed between 1922 and 1925 with a frame structure, white stucco exterior and 20' ceiling. The gymnasium was located on the southeast corner of High Street and N. Princess Street and housed courts for basketball, tennis, and indoor baseball as well as physical education classrooms and space for dances.

After the construciton of Sara Cree Hall in 1952, the new physical education building, White Gymnasium was renovated into an academic building for the Division of Business Administration and was renamed White Hall. Then in 1974, White Hall (Gymnasium) was demolished to provide space for a more modern academic building that would house the Division of Business Administration and Social Sciences. Today, we know this building as White Hall.

White Gymnasium (Hall) was named in honor of Dr. W.H.S. White, president of Shepherd University from 1920 to 1947.

Right Arrow Next