Who can take CLEP at Shepherd University?
Since Shepherd University is a closed test center, only Shepherd students are permitted to take CLEP exams at Shepherd University. Students must be enrolled in an institution in order to receive credit from the institution. Students who have taken CLEP examinations prior to enrollment must submit an official CLEP transcript. A CLEP test should not be taken for a subject in which you have previously enrolled and from which you have withdrawn. A CLEP exam cannot be used to change a grade of D or F received for course work at Shepherd University or another institution.
How do I register to take an Exam?
- Complete the registration form (available online or in the Career Development Center)
- Return it along with a $20.00 non-refundable registration fee to the Career Development Center.
What are the exams like?
- CLEP exams require college-level knowledge and critical thinking ability; sufficient preparation is required to do well.
- All CLEP exams are administered on computer.
- The exams are timed. Most are 90 minutes long.
How will I know if I passed?All examinations except College Composition with Essay will receive their unofficial score immediately upon completing the test. A copy of the official score report will be sent to the student and the Registrars Office.
How Credit Is Awarded?Answers are uploaded to CLEP in New Jersey. CLEP scores the exam and sends the official results to you and the Registrar's Office in approximately three weeks. College Composition with Essay exam may take up to six weeks. Examinees earning minimum score or higher will receive credit on transcript. Transcript will note credit received through CLEP, and examinees will not receive a letter grade. Therefore, CLEP credit will have no effect on an individual's GPA. The Registrar's Office will notify examinees whether they accept or not accept scores for credit.
What is the cost?:There is a $20.00 non-refundable registration fee (cash or check) paid when you register and $80.00 per exam paid to CLEP (check or credit card) on the day you take the exam. When are exams offered? Testing is offered year-round. See the Schedule for current test dates.
How can I prepare to take a CLEP exam?
- Review the exam description on the College Board Web site, or in the CLEP Official Study Guide available in the Career Development Center. Review the outline of "Knowledge and Skills Required" for the exam.
- Outlines for all exams are provided in the Official Study Guide. Review textbooks and other resource materials used in comparable college courses. Answer the sample questions in the Official Study Guide and use the "Answer Key" to determine the number of correct responses and readiness to take the exam.
- Become familiar with the computer-based format of CLEP exams. The CLEP Sampler included in the Official Study Guide and on the CLEP Web site can help.
- Study Resources: The Official CLEP Study Guide is available in the Career Development Center. Included in the study guide are recommendations for preparation, a description of each exam, sample tests and information on additional resources.
VeteransIf you are an eligible veteran, you can receive full reimbursement for CLEP exam and administration fees from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. For more information go to: www.collegeboard.com/clepveterans
- Please bring two forms of identification to the test center. Your primary Id must include you photo and signature: e.g. a driver’s license or passport. Your secondary ID must have a signature and/or photo; e.g. a social security card or student ID cards are acceptable only as a secondary for of ID.
- Cell phones, calculators, PDAs of any kind, beepers, alarm watches, books, papers, and food are not allowed on the testing room.
- A calculator is provide if your exam requires you use one.
- Candidates with disabilities who require accommodations must make arrangements well in advance of the test date.
- Examinations may not be repeated within six months of the testing date. Scores on tests repeated earlier than six months will be canceled and test fees forfeited..