Configuring the Windows Vista Wireless
Before you begin:
The instructions assume a standard Vista installation. If you have customized your settings,
your computer may look different.
Windows Vista Service Pack 1 is required. If you have purchased your computer recently or
if you have Automatic Updates scheduled, you will have Service Pack 1. If you are uncertain,
Click on the START button and right click on Computer. Click on Properties.
Under the Windows edition, you should see the words "Service Pack 1". If
you need SP1, run Windows Update (Start button --> All Programs --> Windows Update).
It is also available at the Help Desk in Ikenberry Hall and at the Public Services desk at the
IT Services is available 8:00-4:30 Monday through Friday if you have additional support needs.
1. Click on Start. Select Connect To.
2. Click on Set up a connection or network.
3. Select Manually connect to a wireless network. Click on Next.
4. Type in registration or SUwireless, depending on which network you are setting
up, for the Network name. Select WPA2-Enterprise using the drop down menu for the
Security type. Select AES using the drop down menu for Encryption type.
Click on Next.
5. Click on Change connection settings.
6. Click on the Security tab and click on the Settings button next
to Protected EAP (PEAP).
7. Uncheck the box labeled Validate server certificate. Click on Configure
next to Secured password (EAP-MSCHAP v2).
8. Uncheck the box Automatically use my Windows logon name and password (and domain if any).
Then click OK.
9. Click OK in the Protected EAP Properties window.
10. Click OK in the Wireless network properties window.
11. Click Close in the Manually connect to a wireless network window.
Stop Here if you are not in a campus wireless area.
12. Now, when your computer is in range of the Shepherd University network, you will see
the balloon shown below pop up from the system tray. Click in the balloon.
If you are configuring the suwireless network, go to CONTINUE SUWIRELESS
13. When the Enter Credentials box appears, Enter your Shepherd User name
and password. Leave the Logon domain box blank. Click OK.
14. Place the cursor over the Network Connection icon in the system
tray (bottom right corner). A balloon will pop up verifying you have connected
to the registration wireless network.
The first time you access the internet after configuring your laptop for wireless, you will get
the Shepherd University Network Security page. If you do, type in registration.shepherd.edu/registration
into your the address line of your web browser.
Read the page and follow the directions. Once you have followed the directions on that page you will be able
to access the internet.
You must have an anti-virus product installed on your computer in order to use the wireless
network. If you do not have an anti-virus product already, AVG corporation
has a free version of their product. It is located at
If you have any problems with this guide, please contact the User Support Desk at
(304) 876-5457 or email@example.com.