IT Services will support Shepherd-owned computing equipment
running one of the following operating systems (current as of March 2010):
• Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3 (no longer deployed for new machines)
• Microsoft Windows Vista Business Edition, Service Pack 2
• Apple Mac OS X 10.4 or later
• Operating Systems used by supported mobile devices (e.g., Blackberry, iPhone)
The following operating systems are not supported:
• Microsoft Windows 2000 or earlier (including 95, 98, and Millennium Edition)
• Microsoft XP Home (with the exception of “netbook” devices, such as the Acer Aspire One)
• Apple Mac OS 9 or earlier
• Apple Mac OS X 10.3 or earlier
• “Beta” versions of any operating system
Support for desktop Unix and Linux operating systems is on a case-by-case basis; contact IT Services
if you have questions. Support for netbooks (low-powered, miniature laptops generally used only for
occasional mobile use) should be considered experimental at the present time.
IT Services expects to support Windows 7 on Shepherd-owned machines in the very near future, and to
begin deployment in computer labs in the summer of 2010. People with personally-owned machines running
Windows 7 will receive support as with other supported operating systems.
IT Services cannot effectively support operating systems that are not supported
by the vendors themselves. This includes all obsolescent versions of Microsoft Windows and Apple Mac OS,
and any versions not officially released. Due to limited desktop support resources we cannot provide
effective support for Unix or Linux systems.