Department of Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Sport
The degrees within our HPERS department at Shepherd University can lead you to challenging and rewarding leadership positions in a variety of recreation, sport and leisure settings including:
Also, the Career Development Center is always available to assist you with any decisions, ideas and advice about possible career and internship options. Below are some helpful hints and tips that will prepare you for a career while you are here, and after you have left Shepherd University.
• An undergraduate degree is sufﬁcient for entry-level recreation positions. A graduate degree may be required for administrative positions and teaching/
research positions at universities and colleges.
• Obtain summer, part-time, internship or volunteer experience in camps, recreation/ﬁ tness centers, social service organizations, tourist attractions, etc.
• Develop solid background of recreational and leisure theories and therapeutic practices.
• Develop broad knowledge base of recreational activities such as athletics, music, arts and crafts, nature, dance, drama, etc.
• Hone leadership and supervisory skills for coordinating and directing others in various activities.
• Obtain Certiﬁed Therapeutic Recreation Specialist (CTRS) credential offered through the National Council for Therapeutic Recreation Certiﬁ cation for some positions. Certiﬁ cation in ﬁ rst aid and safety, CPR or lifeguarding may be helpful.
• Demonstrate strong interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills and the ability to work on a team.
• Learn to interact effectively with people of various ages, backgrounds and ability levels.
• Exhibit physical agility, stamina and a motivational spirit. An interest in working outdoors is essential for some positions.
• Join related professional associations. Attend state/national professional association conferences.
• Seek knowledge of U.S. and world geography, history, social customs and languages for some opportunities.
• Consider participating in the Walt Disney College Program.