Gateway Academy Admissions and Selection
When/Where is the Academy?
The Academy will be held July 9 to July 14, 2017 at Shepherd University. The University is located in the Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia in Shepherdstown.
How much does the Academy cost?
Participants chosen by the selection committee are asked to make a $100 financial commitment to attend the Academy. Participants and their parents must handle the cost of transportation to and from Shepherdstown. Spending money is not required.
To be considered for the Gateway Academy, an applicant must:
- have satisfactory academic performance (average to good grades) in school;
- be eligible to enter the ninth grade in the fall semester of 2017;
- be no older than 15 years-of-age prior to the Gateway Academy (July 2017);
- be a US resident and attend a public school.
Note: residents not attending public school may apply but are still required to provide all supporting application data. Teacher references must be from certified educators, and verification must come from a counselor or principal at the nearest public school.
All applications received by the deadline April 21, 2017 will be considered. Although the Academy is selective, it is not competitive. Generally students invited to attend:
- are not academically performing to their potential ability (Note: preference will be given to the student who falls somewhere between the middle and high performance level);
- have the potential for college but lack goal commitment and planning for the future;
- lack self-esteem/confidence in their ability to do school work;
- need better study habits;
- are members of a minority or disadvantaged socioeconomic group; and
- are willing and enthusiastic about participating in a summer academy.
Note: There is no limit to the number of applicants submitted per school. The Academy is committed to Equal Opportunity regardless of race, gender, or disability.