|Home | About | Undergraduate | Graduate | Prospective | Current | Athletics | Alumni | Faculty/Staff|
The Shepherd University Scarborough Society
10 Achievements Over 10 Years
1. Over the past ten years, the Scarborough Society has raised over $300,000 for the library, including $100,000 for two long-term endowments.
2. Among the many noteworthy highlights exhibited at the anniversary reception and open house was the Center for Teaching and Learning’s new EduTech Center, which provides a state-of-the-art area where students, faculty, and future teachers can learn to use innovative technologies in a classroom setting.
3. The recently-purchased ScanPro 2000 - also on display at the anniversary celebration - allows the library to facilitate the digitalization of its collections.
4. In the summer of 2012, a new Collaborative Lab was completed featuring a reconfiguration of the reference area that provides students with additional computers and redesigned workspaces for today’s learning environment.
5. Four new 42-inch screen LCD monitors were recently added to group study rooms on the library’s third floor, enabling students to collaborate on documents and presentations.
6. A study funded by the Scarborough Society facilitated the creation of the Dr. Howard N. Carper, Jr. Learning Commons within the library.
7. Featuring diverse speakers and topics relevant to the academic and cultural community, the annual Scarborough Art & Lecture Series has become among the most popular of the Scarborough Society’s sponsored endeavors. Each lecture event is free and open to the public and is followed by a lively reception.
8. From places of historical significance to local wineries, the Scarborough Society’s annual bus trip to regional and cultural places of interest has grown to become another popular community attraction sponsored by the organization.
9. In 2008, the Scarborough Society announced a partnership with the Shepherdstown Film Society, providing the community organization the financial support necessary to maintain its commitment to show free films for Shepherd students, faculty, and Shepherdstown residents at Reynolds Hall. This successful joint effort has allowed the Scarborough Society to provide a larger community outreach.
10. The annual Scarborough Society Gala is the Scarborough Society’s major social and fundraising event. Always a highlight of the summer social season, this literary-themed evening of dinner and dancing is a favorite among Scarborough members and their guests.
Make a secure