Scholars in J-1 status who find they need additional time to finish their academic program or purpose beyond the end date on the Form DS-2019, must apply for an extension of stay in order to remain in the U.S. in lawful status.
- Must apply for the extension prior to the program end date;
- Must be in-status and have continually maintained status;
- Must be making normal progress toward completion or satisfaction of the original purpose for your exchange program;
- Must provide sufficient financial documentation for time sought.
How to Apply
In order to maintain status, extension requests must be approved prior to the program end date on your current Form DS-2019. To allow adequate processing time, we recommend completing your J-1 extension request at least 30 days prior to your DS-2019 end date. If you have a DS-2019 end date during the summer term (i.e. between May 1 and September 1) and require an extension, we recommend submission of your extension request before June
- Step 1: Meet with your host department chair to discuss your need to extend. Let the chair know that he/she will need to send an email to the Director, International Initiatives, explaining and verifying the need for the extension and recommending a new projected date for completion.
- Step 2: Meet with the Director, International Initiatives, bringing current immigration-related documents, proof of sufficient financial support, and proof of continuing medical health insurance coverage to the Director, International Initiatives. If there are accompanying dependents, those documents will be needed as well.
- Step 3: Pick up the new DS-2019. Forms for accompanying dependents will also be prepared at that time.