Welcome to Shepherd University Sakai
Sakai is a learning management system that allows the storage of materials for the purpose of teaching, learning and collaborating. Here educators can store documents, assignments, grades and can also communicate through the Mail tool, Discussion Forum, and the Chat tool. Students can get their syllabi, announcements, post discussions and so forth. Departments can use Sakai for collaboration, communication and the storage of material.
Some things to Consider
Navigation: The navigation menu located on the left side of the screen is ideally used to find your way through Sakai. The browser “back” button is not usually the best to navigate through the Sakai system. There are doubled blue arrows toward the top of the current screen that can also be used to get back to the original window.
There are two main areas in Sakai: the Sites area and the My Workspace area. Sites are often used for courses, for departments, or for collaboration. A site is where material such as syllabi, announcements, and discussions are placed. An example of a class/site name could be titled 201040 MUSC 311:01. Usually, sites are named with the following like titles.
Year 2013 (fiscal year)
Spring: 201340-ART 103:09
Summer I: 201410-ENGL 100:01
Summer II: 201420-COMM 150:01
Summer III: 201415-BIOL 103:7
There are two places to access your Sakai sites once you have logged in. First, your site/classes can be seen at the top in the Quicklinks area. Second, you can also obtain your site/classes by using the My Sites tab located to the far top-right of the Sakai screen. You can enter the class/site simply by clicking the left-click mouse over the name of the class/site. Once you have clicked on the name of the class/site you will arrive in the Home page of the designated class/site. Announcements, calendar dates, and instructor information can be seen here.
The links/navigation located in the left area will allow entrance into any content that is within the Sakai class/site.
For more information about the tools, see the built-in help system. Many sites will have a "Help" link in the left margin. In addition, there is a help icon (a question mark) at the upper right of most windows in Sakai.
Your Personal Workspace
In addition to site, every user has a personal Workspace , selected by the "My Workspace" tab. This contains
- Profile: Sakai maintains a user profile for each participant. Your profile contains personal information such as your name, phone number, and location.
- Membership: The Membership tool allows you to see a list of all Sakai sites to which you belong.
- Calendar: The Calendar tool allows instructors and site organizers to post information about a site’s activities in calendar format. Such information might pertain to class lecture and discussion sections, upcoming trips, deadlines, seminars, and other events of importance to site members. Many instructors also use the tool to post readings for each class on the day they are due. Research, group, and department projects often use Calendar to post group deadlines.
- Resources: allows you to store documents, web pages, and other information, and share it with others.
- Announcements: all announcements from the sites of which you are a member of will be shown here.
- Preferences: The Preferences tool allows you to manage your quicklinks, change email notification options, and specify your time zone and language preferences. This tool is normally available only in My Workspace.
- Account, which lets you change your name and email address (only for guests).